55 boats at FLW-Detroit River

• jhalfen

55 boats isn’t a promising way to open a season. Maybe the west will be more highly subscribed.

If you’ve got the hankerin’ to fish an FLW Walleye event, you better do so this year.

francisco4
    Holmen, WI

WOW! Guessing the lower pay outs?

FDR

wimwuen
    LaCrosse, WI

This isn’t really surprising to me. The majority of the anglers are from the Minnesota/Wisconsin area. I would expect the west numbers to be a lot better. I’d expect 80-100 boats for those.

hanson

Guess I’m a bit surprised as well at the low number. This is one of the events I wanted to fish as a Co but had to draw the line somewhere, and I’m sure that is why the turnout is down as well. If you look through the list of pros fishing Detroit, not a lot of Minnesota names in there.

Anybody talk with Sonny lately about the St Croix/P3 event?? We know how many boats are registered?

powereyes
    Elk River, MN

Quote:

Guess I’m a bit surprised as well at the low number. This is one of the events I wanted to fish as a Co but had to draw the line somewhere, and I’m sure that is why the turnout is down as well. If you look through the list of pros fishing Detroit, not a lot of Minnesota names in there.

Anybody talk with Sonny lately about the St Croix/P3 event?? We know how many boats are registered?

I talked to Sonny last week and found out I was ‘about 30th’ on the waiting list for all the Western division events as a coangler. I asked how many boats were registered for the Mississippi event and he wouldn’t say. Fingers crossed that I can get in.

ggoody
    Mpls MN

Quote:

WOW! Guessing the lower pay outs?

FDR

I find it absolutely absurd that 2nd place in a major Walleye circuit Tournament would only pay $3400!

That 2nd place pay can’t possibly even cover basic expense’s.

The days are numbered unless something changes soon IMO!

ted-merdan

All about economics in my opinion.

Incase all were not aware – the enty fee has been basically cut in half to $750 now so the payout also been roughly halved. Then you add in that the tournament only filled just over 1/3 and it’s real easy to see why the money is down. Very unfortunate – absolutely. Definite lack of regual names on the roster – guys who fish either all FLW or both FLW/AIM were missing… Speculating that as others have said the west will be much fuller due to lower travel costs for a significant number of the participants. When you put the pencil to paper, it’s pretty hard to make a good business case to spend the amout of $$ to travel/pre-fish/prepare for that kind of a return. I am thinking this factored heavily into the lower numbers at this event.

Very unfortunate and hope for the best for competitive walleye angling. We will see how the season works out for the circuits this year.

-ted

walleyewacker18
    Rice Lake, WI

Just my opinion but I think it was a bad decision to split the tournaments into two divisions. Have 3-4 events and have it a season. Letting guys pick and choose where they wanna fish. Come on FLW, hope they can stay above water…..No pun intended

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.