-Pool 3- fishing weekend 16th & 17th

• sipple31
    West-Central WI

I got out both days early morning. Saturday was dangerously windy. Neither of our trolling motors or the anchor would hold us fishing wing-dams, so we had to head up to the no-wake zone in Prescott. Even that was a bit tricky. We ran into a pile of cigar sized sauger between the Prescott harbor and the first wing dam in about 11-16 FOW. It didn’t seem to matter what we were using, but they did seem to hit the bright colors (orange/yellow) more often. We caught 30+ fish, only 2 were walleyes… of all of those fish we only had 1 over 15″ and one was borderline! We also caught quite a few whites in there… overall fun catching some fish, not so fun looking in the mirror and seeing the wind-burn.

Also got out this morning with my Dad. We tried the harbor area, couldn’t produce. We headed down to the mouth of the Big, nothing but a bass. Headed upstream to hit some wing-dams with lindy rigs, still nothing! We finally headed back up by the harbor/zoo and were able to catch about 15 fish. Mix of sauger & whites. I scored a nice 17″ sauger that I kept for a meal this week. 90% of our fish this weekend were caught on bright jigs tipped with a minnow. HOWEVER, I can’t explain why were not getting any fish on the wing-dams??

-Luke

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

Glad to hear you had some luck. However I agree, this spring has sucked regarding wind. I’m starting to wonder if it’s always windy in Southern MN.

sipple31
    West-Central WI

I think it has also sucked regarding current. I’m not sure if the rates are actually higher than years past, but it sure seems like it! I saw a few eddies off the ends of the wing-dams this weekend that would have scared me had I been in a dinghy.

fish-them-all
    Oakdale, MN

We tried fishing a few wingdams sunday morning too with cranks and crawlers, with only swings and misses. These were some wing dams that usually produce in June and July, maybe just not in May I guess. Might still be a little too much flow right now.

waleyangler
    woodbury,mn

we have been getting them trolling lindy rigging on the wing dams. if the wind picks up troll.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.