Up the Gutt

• Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Fished Guttenberg Saturday from 10am-6pm. Should have reversed it and fished the AM bite which I heard was better. But it was a great day just to be outside, 60’s and lots of sun relieved a lot of spring fever. Lots of smaller fish and eaters showed up with this one photo worthy eye which was CPRed. Ringies in electric blue and purple with glitter got bit the most, purple hair with meat was next in line. Had a total pig 10+ come unbuttoned netside when it smoked my one eye.

btomlin
    Albia, IA

Nice fish!! Are you fishing off a dock???

big_g
    Isle, MN

Nice Job Looks like you had better weather there today than we had…

big G

dan-tessmann
    Kieler, Wis

Nice job, you had alot better luck than my friend and I had. The reports that came out of guttenburg don’t reflect my day . I tried just about everything and many differant places. I guess up by the dam was the ticket. I probally saw you, I had the white and black ranger. Again nice looking eye, Dan

brant_gilmore
    New Providence,Ia

Congrats, nice fish! Was there a lot of people on the barge?

benjisdad
    Newton, Iowa

GREAT EYE!!..My wife and I have fished off the barge a couple of times. I’m thinking this year we’ll drag the boat up for a day on the river there at Guttenburg. We had blast the two times we were there, nothing like that though..

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

They call it a barge, basically it is a floating dock that is anchored up by the dam. You can access it by going to Landing 615, the charge is $10. They ferry you over to it and back when you want to leave. I fish it 5-10 times a year, it is a nice option when you don’t want to play bumper boats and if the conditions are right you can catch as many fish as you can out of a boat with less effort. I didn’t feel like dragging the boat up and worrying about the wind, current, boat position and other boaters that day and it worked out pretty well. The barge was pretty full Saturday, it is generally a good social group and you can pick up a lot of tips if you have the right attitude and are willing to share information yourself. People typically help each other net fish, share ring worms if there is a special hot color and I’ve even shared beer and had beer shared with me. You will have your grumpy exceptions to this but you’ll find that anywhere you go.

smackem
    Iowa Marshall Co

Have never tried the barge before. Is one area of it better then another?

Ben Garver
    Hickman, Nebraska

That sounds like a fun trip. It would be a blast to get a group of buddies together for something like that. Nice fish.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.