Fall Walleye and Sauger Fishing

• Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Here are pictures from a few recent outings. Water temps and levels are coming around nicely on the Miss and Interior Iowa Rivers I fish. The first photo is of 2 nice eaters from the Wapsi, the next photo are also fish from a Wapsi outing. 1/8 and 1/16 oz jigs and twisters in Chartruse, Orange and White and 1/2 crawler did the trick on these. Deeper pockets of slower water close to fast water was the targeted area, classic interior river spots actually produced like they should, I can’t always say that but from time to time all of the stars align and a plan comes together. The next two dark blurry photos are of two outings to the Mississipi and are a mixed bag mainly of fat shad frenzy saugers with a few Walleyes in the mix. This past Saturday was an absolute bonanza, every boat I saw was catching fish. What worked best for me was a 1/2 oz jig head with electric blue or purple twisters or ringies. I saw and experimented with a lot of other colors as well, it seemed to me that you had to be on a very dark extreme or a very bright extreme to get a better bite. So Either purple on one end or Chartuese on the other end. The in between colors like dull orange, browns and dull greys and blues were not working as well for me or others I observed. The plastics I used were getting inhaled to the point that you needed pliers on many to remove the hook without getting bit. My hands are beat up and bloody from removing hooks and releasing fish but I don’t mind so much when I think about why I have that cut or scrape. I don’t consider myself an expert or even good Miss River Walleye/Sauger angler but Saturday I caught 25 in 3 hours most 17″-19″ inches with one 21″ Sauger which was quickly released. And I am convinced that just about anyone could have caught fish that day. Hopefully this fast and furious bite will stick around for a while. Good luck and get out there and enjoy this bite while it lasts.

superdave
    NE IA

Thanks for the report, sure makes sitting at my desk that much easier…

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

Happy to oblige. Can’t let you or Mossy or Andy have all the fun in Eastern Iowa…

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Nice job Rugby I was bow hunting last weekend but we’re heading up to p4 friday morning. I cannot wait to get on some fish!! What pool were you on?

Rugbystar
    Marion, Iowa

I made the shorter trip to Dubuque and it paid off. Eyehunter is right on, that is a great pool. The current is much more mellow a lot like Pool 4. Even up by the dam you aren’t fighting it like Guttenberg. I would hazzard a guess that anywhere on the upper sippi would be good at this time. Good luck on 4, I wish I could make a trip there soon to do battle with those hogs but it doesn’t look like that is in the cards.

andyjcraig
    Iowa City, Iowa

Thanks, Rugby. We have been talking about hitting dubuque more in the future. we’ll have to hook up.

andy

superdave
    NE IA

The slot limit on those pools sure works! Hopefully the weather stays as forecasted for the weekend! I’ll be out someplace.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.