need advice

• joe
    Prescott, WI

I’ve been out a few times this week on Pool 3 but haven’t been able to catch anything. I’m not a fantastic river fisherman (or lake fisherman for that matter) by any means. Does anyone have any advice on how to boat a few walleyes? I’ve been working points around islands where current slacks and it gets a bit shallower with plastic grubs and worms. Also a bit with a chart. crank bait. I was thinking of going down to Pool 4 this weekend. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Doug Ertl
    St Cloud, MN

My advice would be to book a guide for a day. I know Chris Tuckner (Eye Guide) guides pool 3. Money well spent for sure.
    I have fished with Chris a few times on pool 3 and its always a learning experience, and lots of fun of course.

steveo
    W Central Sconnie

I would also recommend Tuck. Money well spent. Split the trip with a buddy.

May even get your picture on one of his reports on this board. ‘Course you gotta catch a nice fish first.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

If you get out this weekend, put the chartruese away for a bit. Also, it may be a little early for a fast crank presentation. Stick with darker plastics for now such as Ringworms, Super Doo’s and K-tails. Use tails with some glitter in them. Water is still pretty clear, plus you have the Croix flowing in with colder water than which is seen in Pool 4 right now. So, go slow, but stay shallow if you want walleye. Go to Prescott and work from 20 to 30 feet if you are targeting eating size sauger. Remember, you cannot pass the Hiway 10 bridge until the boundary waters season opens, so you would fish from the bridge down, past the harbor docks. Also, target the rip rap on the WI side.
    Good luck!
    Let us know how you do!
    Tuck

tfuller4
    Marion, Ia

so there rate for the day is one price. how many people can go. i didnt think u could split the price though

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

It’s a little extra per person but if you total the costs and then divide it equally amongst yourselves, it’ll be of no consequence to anyone. As long as paid is paid, only smiles will be made!

bill_cadwell
    Rochester, Minnesota

Hiring Chris Tuckner as a guide for and a friend would put you way ahead on where and how to fish pool 3. It would be a great learning experience and would help you to catch fish on your own the next times you are out fishing. Thanks, Bill

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Wisnwangler,

I have a hard time catching much on Pool 3 during March and it seems other people do to. If you fish Pool 2 during March you’ll see a lot of people fishing and if you go to Pool 4 you’ll see tons of people fishing, often doing quite well at both locations. But not on Pool 3. Maybe there’s some secret and some guys do real well but I fished from Prescott all the way down to Mileys a few weeks ago and didn’t see another person fishing past the No Wake zone at Prescott. I didn’t catch anything… not even a bite. I sure wish I could fish the stretch from Prescott to the Hasting Dam to see what’s there. I know there’s good walleye fishing there in the summer or late spring when the season opens but by then I can find walleyes on the wingdams all the way downstream past Diamond Bluff.

I was talking to Jon J. the other day and he agreed that Pool 3 is a mystery this time of year. It won’t be long and the sauger will start to show up in front of the docks at Prescott but I don’t know where they are now. I just can’t believe all the fish moved to the Croix or to the closed stretch of the river by Hastings.

I’d suggest driving down to Pool 4. Heck, Everts is only about 20 minutes from Prescott. Also, look were the Pool 2 and Pool 3 FTR guides have been fishing lately… Pool 4… that tells you something doesn’t it.

Boone

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.