Pepin bite?

• james_walleye
    rochester, mn

I havent seen a whole lot of reports from Pepin lately reguarding the bite other than Bill Cadwells. Is no one down there? Or is everyone north or south?
    I’ll get it going, here is my Pepin report from saturday. Fished the MN side a couple miles south of Lake City. Started out cranking with miminal success. Hit a couple small saugers off a point and when we went over that area we marked a lot of fish. We went back too the point in 13-15′ with lindys and crawlers and immediately started smacking 14-16″ saugers. They were really thick for about a 40 yard stretch and they were on the downwind side of the point which surprised me. Also caught one 15 1/2″ eye. Not a single sheepie, unreal for crawlers. We did lose a couple of bigger fish right under the boat also. Quick flashes, couldnt tell if they were huge sauger or nice walleyes. As the morning progressed we found that alot of the fish were sliding out deeper. The last keeper size saugdog we caught was in 20′ of water. Unfortunately that storm came through skirting the WI side of the river. The wind shifted a couple times and we beached the boat on a sand point for 20 minutes or so until it quieted back down. Of course then the fish had scattered and i had too get off the river about 2:00 pm. All in all pretty good though, i wasnt expecting too get into the numbers we got into. And was quite surprised that about half the saugers were 14″ or bigger. Another quick note, after the storm passed i spent a while graphing the breakline from about 12′ out too about 25′ and when i got too about 17′ i couldnt believe all the nice big marks i was seeing about 10′ down. Anyone have any idea what kind of fish i might have been graphing? Could they have possibly been eyes? Or just sheepies or whities?

chappy
    Hastings, MN

Why did’nt you come up for the GTG? You missed a great time! Fish are “Snapping like gators” on Pepin from the reports I’m hearing from friends. Yes ……I do have a couple!!!!!

jnabben

How’s the trolling bite around Maiden Rock, Bay City area been lately? Anyone picking anything up by Hi lok sa ramp? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Depth, trolling speed, colors used? Thanks

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.