Vermillion ice conditions?

• Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Any info or reports on ice between vermillion to ely. Debating on doing a good day trip up that way Saturday. I’m not ready to give up on the season, and I’d like to stay far away from leech,winni, red or anything in that area.

BrianF

Wondering the same thing BC. I’m heading up tonight. Will drill a couple test holes and report back. Last time up was 2 weeks ago and I measured 11″ of ice. Record warmth since the though may have changed things, as we well know.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Wondering the same thing BC. I’m heading up tonight. Will drill a couple test holes and report back. Last time up was 2 weeks ago and I measured 11″ of ice. Record warmth since the though may have changed things, as we well know.

If you can report back or shoot me a message I would really appreciate it.

BrianF

Will do. The resort webcams make it look like a sloppy mess.

BrianF

I just arrived at the lake and the WebCam images were not wrong. The lake is a sloppy, soupy mess.

I drilled a hole and had 13 inches on my tape measure, with the top 2 inches being white and soft. There is a layer of watery slush on top of the ice and puddles about an inch or two deep just about as far as the eye could see. It’s raining and 37° as I write this. The weather is supposed to turn colder this weekend, though I wonder if it will freeze the top layer of water and slush in the next couple days. I sort of doubt it?? I definitely don’t plan to run my snowmobile until things firm up. This could be a very quick trip!

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3086-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_3088-scaled.jpeg

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks for the update. It doesn’t look good. But cold weather is coming tonight

BrianF

The water/slush on top the ice is firming-up with the falling temps. Not much for snow on top so if planning to ride a sled, consider using your scratchers. For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen a soul out on the lake all day.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The water/slush on top the ice is firming-up with the falling temps. Not much for snow on top so if planning to ride a sled, consider using your scratchers. For what it’s worth, I haven’t seen a soul out on the lake all day.

Not a soul on the lake makes me really want to fly up for the day. I just don’t want to deal with lots of slush on my wheeler.

Tommy

There’s a few around Frazer Bay. I’ve taken yesterday and today off. I plan on being out tomorrow again.

27eyeguy

Oh come on BC, the slush melts but the experience lasts forever-lol. I’m out in NW WI, ice held up really good where I’m at. Measured 10.5 to 8 in the 3 holes I drilled for tip-ups. Got a couple LMB so far. Good luck n be safe.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.