Vehicle Hail damage question

• dirtywater

How much does hail damage affect the value of a vehicle? Is there a standard % to deduct or is it just case-by-case? We have a 2015 Camry hybrid with about 80k miles, in excellent mechanical condition but has some hail damage. Not crazy deep dents, but it is noticeable and it is not limited to just one area, pretty widespread. Car never had a salvage title from the damage.

We’re starting to shop around for something newer now, and I’m trying to place a value on the car. I don’t expect to trade it in, I’ve typically done a lot better selling private party on my own. Any ideas greatly appreciated. Thanks!

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d say it’s depreciated about as much as it would cost to repair the dents. I’d at least get a quote on trading it in, as the dealership likely has a PDR guy that would fix it before they resold it, and thus it’s *possibly* worth more to them. Plus then you have a data point in the market. If I were selling it, I’d list it for a couple hundred less than comps and let the market speak.

27eyeguy

Not sure of your price, but is a guy looking for a vehicle for his child’s first. He has a post going. Good luck with sale.

jwellsy

Hail damage may not be too expensive to fix. I’ve seen travelling hail repair tents set up in parking lots where they use large area heat lamps to pop them back out, no glue, drilling or repainting.

dirtywater

Hail damage may not be too expensive to fix. I’ve seen travelling hail repair tents set up in parking lots where they use large area heat lamps to pop them back out, no glue, drilling or repainting.

Interesting, would have to look into that. Wonder if it matters how long ago the dents happened.

I’m more in the planning stages, 27eyeguy, but thanks for the heads-up.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Pdr can be very expensive depending on how bad the hail damage is. Roof liners usually have to be removed, most hail damage repair is done from the underside.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

A Friend of mine does PDR for a living and gets about $100-$150 a dent to repair. He works 6 months out of the year traveling following storms and makes $200k+

big_g
    Isle, MN

If its several dents on one vehicle, as hail usually is, doing a Hood, Roof and one side can run anywhere from $1200 to $2000, depending on how bad it is.

Deuces

General question how big of hail does it take to create dents? Does vehicle quality affect that?

Last summer my yukon got pounded as I was in the garage watching it crying a lil bit, not not freaking dent I was shocked.

Attachments:
    1. 20230811_171915-scaled.jpg

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.