Used wheeler search

• Justin Paulsen
    Participant

I’m currently in the market for a used wheeler. I’m just wondering what everyone’s opinions are on some of the models I’ve seen since I’ve been out of the loop on wheelers for some time. I’m in the 5-6ish thousand range. Suzuki King Quads,Brute Force,Grizzly etc..I’m not brand loyal. Mostly used around my property, snow plowing etc..but still able to provide a little fun factor if I go for a rip.

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

when it comes to vehicles the most important thing for me is reliability. As such i prefer Honda and Yamaha for wheelers. I just bought a 2016 Kodiak LE with 500 miles on it for $5500. If i was to buy new id look closely at a Honda Rancher

tornadochaser
    Participant

Hondas last the longest, which is reflected in the asking prices for currently available used quads.

mark-bruzek
    Participant
    Two Harbors, MN

I Paid 8k for a 2022 Foreman 520 2 months ago, dont be afraid to drive a bit if you can buy new. Used prices are just stupid now…

suzuki
    Participant
    Woodbury, Mn

I know they are not easy to find. The guy that bought mine drove all the way from Grand Rapids. I was impressed and paid for his gas money.

poomunk
    Participant
    Galesville, Wisconsin

I would have to tip my hand to Hondas, I’ve got a 2001 Rubicon that was beaten and abused prior and I’ve not exactly babied it either, 21 years old and still runs like a champ, looks a bit beat up but I’m not using it to win beauty contests.

KPE
    Participant
    River Falls, WI

While I agree Hondas are typically excellent machines, both of my Kawasakis (prairie 650, Brute Force 750i) have been excellent. My buddy’s prairie 400 was also a beast, he had an issue with a drain plug that drained his crank case and it drove the next mile no problem, got filled up with oil and a new plug, and never had any problems.

On a big group ride full of Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha and Honda, only the Honda Rincon failed. I know of one other Honda Rincon owned by a different buddy that has been nothing but problems. So in terms of bigger 4 wheelers, I would never go Honda but that is based only my friends’ experiences with their big bore machines. I owned two Honda ATC 3 wheelers for a few years that were indestructible, and I wish I still had them.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

I’m currently in the market for a used wheeler. I’m just wondering what everyone’s opinions are on some of the models I’ve seen since I’ve been out of the loop on wheelers for some time. I’m in the 5-6ish thousand range. Suzuki King Quads,Brute Force,Grizzly etc..I’m not brand loyal. Mostly used around my property, snow plowing etc..but still able to provide a little fun factor if I go for a rip.

If you find a used Yamaha/Honda in the 4-5k range that isn’t 25 years old or completely beat on, shoot me a PM with the address and attached number. I’ll go check it out for you to be sure it’s all on the up and up waytogo

Justin Paulsen
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Justin Paulsen wrote:</div>

If you find a used Yamaha/Honda in the 4-5k range that isn’t 25 years old or completely beat on, shoot me a PM with the address and attached number. I’ll go check it out for you to be sure it’s all on the up and up waytogo

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_20220504-131551_Facebook.jpg

crappie55369
    Participant
    Mound, MN

[/quote]

that appears to not be 4×4

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

that appears to not be 4×4
    [/quote]

Yes it is. That’s the 4×4 shifter on the side. Under the handle bars. But for 2k more you can own a 22 with warranty

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

6k price, you could buy a brand new rancher 420 for 7200. Or foreman for 8. I would highly think about that before going 10 years used. I would vote on Honda or Yamaha. If Yamaha the 16 17 and 18 have notoriously bad designed motors. The 708 is the motor to walk away from. But the smaller motors are still great.

The king quads are solid machines as well. Same with brute force.
    Again my vote would be Honda. Have owned many and never had a single issue. My 01 rancher went to hell and back and still runs like its new. My 21 died,but that was from a wreck. I’m waiting for my 22 grizzly se to show up currently.
    I am also looking for a 99 to 02 400ex.

maddog
    Participant
    Park Rapids Mn.

Look on the alex fb marketplace page a lot of Honda

Justin Paulsen
    Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies and feedback so far.

Kris Berg
    Participant

Honda, Honda, Honda! Stay away from the Rincon though. That is the one model that has issues.

Justin Paulsen
    Participant

Honda, Honda, Honda! Stay away from the Rincon though. That is the one model that has issues.

Thanks for the Rincon info. I have seen a few of those and wondered how they are. I do know of the Hobda reliability, just not sure about plowing with the 420.

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Kris Berg wrote:</div>

Thanks for the Rincon info. I have seen a few of those and wondered how they are. I do know of the Hobda reliability, just not sure about plowing with the 420.

The 420 plows great. Depending on what you are plowing. The 420 and 520 do not have very much difference in power. I had the 20 rancher sold for 21 foreman and now going to the 22 grizzly se. The Foreman and rancher both plowed and pulled the skid house very well. Just don’t buy a oversized plow, I pushed with a 52 inch koplin. I could do 1 pass across my driveway to the other side of the yard with ease

Stanley
    Participant

Thought I would bring this back up instead of starting a new one. I am currently looking at used ATV’s with about a 6k budget and wondering what to stay away from. I have a 03 Yamaha Kodiak 450 that I bought new that been good and I had a 05 Polaris 700 that I bought new but it only made it 4 miles before the first problem and was constantly an issue so I sold that with less than a thousand miles on it. I would like something with a little more power than my 450 and independent suspension. All the Honda and Yamahas I find either look beat up have 5000 miles or are the rancher 420 with straight axles. The Polaris 570 would fit what I’m looking for and fits the budget but after my last Polaris I’m hesitant to buy another one.

MX1825
    Participant

Polaris motto “Trade before warranty expires”. whistling

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

Looking back at my previous response on this bumped thread, it seems I’m still searching for the rare unicorn – a used, smaller ATV that’s not beat to he** and doesn’t cost $5-6k. Every Honda or Yamaha in this category that I’ve called on or looked at is pretty much gone when it’s posted…or there are issues with it.

Stanley
    Participant

Looking back at my previous response on this bumped thread, it seems I’m still searching for the rare unicorn – a used, smaller ATV that’s not beat to he** and doesn’t cost $5-6k. Every Honda or Yamaha in this category that I’ve called on or looked at is pretty much gone when it’s posted…or there are issues with it.

That’s where I am currently at. I missed out on a grizzly 550 because I drug my feet.

buckybadger
    Participant
    Upper Midwest

^Unfortunately my struggles to find a small used ATV to run around with has given the Mrs. all the more drive to want a giant 4 seater side by side that I want no part of.

I’ve tried telling her they’re not maneuverable on our bluff trails, are expensive, take up more garage, and won’t get used any more than a small utility wheeler for bombing around at 4 times the cost. She somehow thinks otherwise because she sees people driving them down the road. I told her if she wants a toy to drive down the road, find a Mid-Late 90s Jeep Wrangler for half the cost.

bigcrappie
    Participant
    Blaine

Get here a golf cart then…….

^Unfortunately my struggles to find a small used ATV to run around with has given the Mrs. all the more drive to want a giant 4 seater side by side that I want no part of.

I’ve tried telling her they’re not maneuverable on our bluff trails, are expensive, take up more garage, and won’t get used any more than a small utility wheeler for bombing around at 4 times the cost. She somehow thinks otherwise because she sees people driving them down the road. I told her if she wants a toy to drive down the road, find a Mid-Late 90s Jeep Wrangler for half the cost.

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

I’ve got a POS 1996 Polaris 300 Explorer I’m selling. It has a brand new engine rebuild last year. New chain. New battery. New front tie rod. And it’s still a POS you’ll be cursing long after I’ve sold it. rotflol

Wade Boardman
    Participant
    Grand Rapids, MN

OH, I’m going to sell my 2016 John Deere Gator 590i as well. grin That machine is NOT a POS.

TheFamousGrouse
    Participant
    St. Paul, MN

Check out the Honda Pioneer 520. It’s not a 4 seater, but the whole reason I bought one was that it combines ATV maneuverability and width with UTV comfort and cargo hauling ability. And it does NOT cost the insane amount that the big UTVs cost.

It’s obviously above your stated price range for an ATV, but your wife would probably be a lot happier riding around in or driving a Pioneer.

I can haul my Pioneer on a 5X8 utility trailer but I did need to modify the ramp to make it “lean back” more so it doesn’t rub the back bumper. Bottom line is they are very convenient both to ride in and to haul.

I don’t miss my ATV at all and even moreso because I traded a Polaris for a Honda so needless to say the only thing I’ve done to the Honda since I got it 2 years ago has been changing oil.

CBMN
    Participant
    North Metro

Dealership in Lakeville has this posted for a new unit:

2023 Honda Rancher 4×4 – $5,999

That price does not include TTL. Yeah it is a strait axle and a little less power than you are talking about but it is a new unit close to your used budget…

Bearcat89
    Participant
    North branch, mn

I’ve actually seen alot of good deals around the 4k mark on marketplace.

Stanley
    Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. We are looking into making another purchase along with the ATV so that’s why the lower budget. I have a 2 place snowmobile trailer so if a pioneer and my Kodiak would fit that may be an option. I don’t really need a bigger machine just would be nice so maybe a newer kodiak 450 with the independent suspension would work? There is 5 of us that all hunt and ice fish so another machine is needed but we don’t trail ride much anymore. My 03 has just over 2k miles on it.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.