Used Boat Trailers

• TuffyGuy

I may be in the market for a “new” used boat trailer. Long story short, my boat and trailer were parked outside my house and it was hit by a distracted driver a month ago and I just got the estimate back today coming in at close to 10k for repairs. Haven’t heard from insurance yet, but I doubt they are going to cover that bill.

The boat is a 2000 Tuffy Osprey 1990 and the trailer is trailmaster vanguard.

There doesn’t seem to be much options on used boat trailers and I really hope I’m not going to be forced to buy a brand new trailer.

Any insights much appreciated with experiences dealing with insurance and totaled trailers or finding used trailers. Thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Why wouldn’t the persons insurance cover it. I would be fighting for the full cost of replacement from the others insurance. As for used trailers that’s a tough one. I know country view marine in Stacy/ north branch has a huge lot of used trailers. Maybe they can help lead in the right direction

TuffyGuy

I will have to give them call, thanks!

As you said, hopefully I won’t have to worry about it and insurance will cover full replacement cost. I have a call with the claim handler next week and I’ll find out more.

I was just researching and it sounds like if they only need to pay fair market value rather than replacement value I might be stuck with some of the bill.

MX1825

You just need a trailer? The boat wasn’t damaged?

TuffyGuy

Somehow no damage to the boat. Trailer ended up coming unhooked and caused damage to my truck though.

Attachments:
    1. 20231018_183916-scaled.jpg

MX1825

Was the driver watching Clint Eastwood? “Right turn Clyde”

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’m no help, but I just wanted to say anyone fishing out of a Tuffy is a legend by default. Nothing better at the price point for fiberglass. I love their hulls both old and new.

Best of luck with the trailer replacement

isu22andy

10 k in repairs ? What else is damaged besides the trailer ? I have seen a few newer trailers on marketplace . Unfortunately you don’t have a lot of time to look but they are out there !

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

In 2021 I bought a brand new Shorelander tandem axel bunk trailer for a 20′ fiberglass Lund. It was under $7k.

mojogunter

That may include damage to the truck as well

10 k in repairs ? What else is damaged besides the trailer ? I have seen a few newer trailers on marketplace . Unfortunately you don’t have a lot of time to look but they are out there !

TuffyGuy

The 10k was actually just the trailer estimate. I didn’t see the detailed estimate yet, but at a minimum it was 2 new axles, 2 new wheel wells, coupler, electrical, and leaf springs. I was pretty shocked at the estimate, but I guess if you think the of the labor hours and amount of parts it adds up quick. Haha

slough

Goodness, I would think you could buy a brand new trailer for a fair bit less than that…

tswoboda

I’m no help, but I just wanted to say anyone fishing out of a Tuffy is a legend by default. Nothing better at the price point for fiberglass. I love their hulls both old and new.

Tell me you’re a Sconnie without telling me you’re a Sconnie jester

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Goodness, I would think you could buy a brand new trailer for a fair bit less than that…

^ and that is what I would push for if it was me.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Tuffy Boats, Beer, Brats, Cheese Curds, and discussing PJ Fleck’s latest used car salesman tactics…

toast

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

I just wanted to say anyone fishing out of a Tuffy is a legend by default.

I hope you don’t feel like you should retract your statement after finding out I have been a legend for over 15 years now.

TuffyGuy That is crazy how they totaled the trailer with the boat on it and the boat is just fine. Just shows how tough a Tuffy is.

TuffyGuy

Hopefully they will be replacing with brand new trailer. Dealing with State Farm has been a nightmare. I feel like I’m getting the run around and my claim just keeps getting pushed onto other people plates and no one can give me any answers.

Yea, crazy how the boat didn’t receive any damage.

I was able to see the trailer estimate. Basically what it said was to much damage to frame of trailer to do anything. Estimate was salvaging parts and affixing to new frame. Which as stated before, would cost more than a brand new trailer.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.