Upper St. Croix boating

• eddiechurch

I am planning on trying the upper St. Croix for the first time this weekend. I run a jon boat with an outboard jet. I have fished a few times below taylors falls, but never above it. I am just wondering what would be a decent landing to use that will get me somewhat away from people, but in a stretch of water a outboard jet can navigate reasonably well without getting out of the boat. I was thinking wild river state park or up by Hwy 70. Or will I need to stick closer to the dam? I am targeting catfish and sturgeon if that helps.

dbright
    Cambridge

The closer you get to the dam the nicer the landings. Hwy 70 landing is usually decent but getting down through the rapids if you are looking to go down river can be tough in low water. If you are decent at reading water you should be fine from the dam up past the snake river. There are a few small rapids but a guy can get through them.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Eddie, I think we have a mutual friend Scott from owatonna.

Can you Target sturgeon above Taylor’s falls?

Good luck man!

eddiechurch

It is open for catch and release only above the dam. I need to get out fishing with You or Scott or both. I assume If I’m fishing cut sucker I’ll catch a variety of fish species.

dbright
    Cambridge

Cut sucker works good and there are a decent amount of channels up there. Stevens Creek and the old railroad bridge landings are both landings I would skip. The railroad landing might be alright if you have a roller trailer or don’t mind muscling your boat off the trailer. Stevens Creek is in fast water and pointed upriver.

dbright
    Cambridge

After today I would add the rush city landing to the don’t use unless you have a roller trailer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.