Upper Red Fall Fishing

• happycampin
    Participant
    New Richmond, WI

So it feels almost impossible to find much information regarding fall fishing on Upper Red. With it being so good early ice why is it not more of a known fall destination? My job has been insane since COVID hit and now I have vacation time to burn up before I loose it! Any advice or tips would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Ryan

Justin riegel
    Participant

I have never fished it in the fall, but my two guesses would be this. *Disclaimer, they are just guesses.*

1. More than likely the lake gets turned up regularly by fall NW winds, making it a. really unenjoyable to fish and b. Red is so shallow when it blows real hard the fishing gets tough.

2. It is really good fishing and just no one talks about.

3. Mix of 1 and 2, it can be really good if the cooperates, but it rarely does in the fall making it hard place to plan a trip to.

Charlie W
    Participant
    TRF / Pool 3 / Grand Rapids, MN / SJU

When I fish in the fall, I’m typically targeting big fish. Red lake doesn’t offer that for the most part. I know others that stay away from it in the fall for the same reason. I also know plenty that go there in the fall and do very well.

tim hurley
    Participant

Probably could however get big pike

mojogunter
    Participant

I was up there for three days this past weekend. Saturday and Sunday were really tough fishing. Just got a few here and there. Tried several techniques, depths, and areas. Monday the bite turned on a bit. It was a pretty steady bite. My son managed to hit a big pike too.

Attachments:
    1. 20200914_171700.jpg

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.