Underwater camera…is it worth it?

• Tim Chrouser

I’m getting a new boat, and as long as I have my checkbook out, I was thinking about getting an underwater camera. I do not hear guys talking about them very much so I’m not sure how useful one would be. When I’m walleye fishing in deeper water and marking fish just off the bottom I assume they’re walleyes, so why would I need to spend valuable fishing time lowering a camera down there? Other than the thrill of watching fish not bite my line.
    The camera sounds fun but I don’t think it’ll put more fish in my boat. Any advice here?

Matt Moen
    South Minneapolis

I have one….really never use it. It’s a bit of a novelty when ice fishing but your money is better spent on other stuff when you have a new boat. I very rarely use it open water.

Not sure your boat but spend the money on upgrading a trolling motor, trailer steps, etc.

If you want a camera look for a used one or watch for a sale in the future.

Sylvanboat

I use my HB first but break out my AquaVu mini camera after that. The camera really shines ice fishing.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For boat, absolutely no. Ice fishing. Pretty much no but yes very very seldom

tsamp
    eldora, iowa

Get Livescope. Works in murky water and ice fishing

Dan
    Southeast MN

I have one….really never use it. It’s a bit of a novelty when ice fishing

I feel the same way. I was pretty excited to get one and it just doesn’t get used all that much. When my boys get a little older I’m sure they’ll enjoy looking at it.

Ice fishing I’ve had occasions where I couldn’t get marks on my flasher to bite, then I looked on camera and it was a different species than I thought so I changed tactics.

Honestly though I could (and often do) easily do without it. It’s not quite at regret level but I just don’t use it that much though.

My comments are pertaining strictly to ice fishing, I’ve never used it open water.

glenn57
    cold spring mn

I have a marcum and love it. It has its place. In deep water not so much. Winter time it’s ok. Worst. Issue. Is getting a feisty fish and tangled up. I use it mainly to locate fish, can’t help if fish don’t bite

I. Used it last March and found out our lake had another winter kill.

crappie55369
    Mound, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Matt Moen wrote:</div>
    I have one….really never use it. It’s a bit of a novelty when ice fishing

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Bearcat89 wrote:</div>

I feel the same way. I was pretty excited to get one and it just doesn’t get used all that much. When my boys get a little older I’m sure they’ll enjoy looking at it.

Ice fishing I’ve had occasions where I couldn’t get marks on my flasher to bite, then I looked on camera and it was a different species than I thought so I changed tactics.

Honestly though I could (and often do) easily do without it. It’s not quite at regret level but I just don’t use it that much though.

My comments are pertaining strictly to ice fishing, I’ve never used it open water.

This. Thought it would be great for identifying bottom structure. The times I have used mine I either don’t get a clear image or im annoyed at how long it takes to uncool the chord and wrap it back up. A few years ago I bought one of those tripods that rotates the chord for you. Its still in the package. I guess I’m too busy drinking beer and marking fish on my flasher to fiddle with the camera.

I’ve used it on the boat a few times. Was ineffective.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

I have one….really never use it. It’s a bit of a novelty when <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing

This. Thought it would be great for identifying bottom structure. The times I have used mine I either don’t get a clear image or im annoyed at how long it takes to uncool the chord and wrap it back up. A few years ago I bought one of those tripods that rotates the chord for you. Its still in the package. I guess I’m too busy drinking beer and marking fish on my flasher to fiddle with the camera.

100 percent this. And he said no ice fishing. So no. Put the money in to a side imaging graph

Tim Chrouser

Gotcha Bearcat and others….I’m going to skip the camera and upgrade the Terrova to the model that can track a boat at a certain depth or follow a track I’ve used in the past. For me, boat positioning is probably the most important factor and that’s where I should spend my $$$.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Gotcha Bearcat and others….I’m going to skip the camera and upgrade the Terrova to the model that can track a boat at a certain depth or follow a track I’ve used in the past. For me, boat positioning is probably the most important factor and that’s where I should spend my $$$.

The terrova is all u need. The electronics won’t make you a better angler. Read and learn fish before spending thousands on how fish work. They still do the same thing since my dad taught me in a canoe. I would never spend 3 k on a trolling motor or a guide system. Because when you catch none and the local hill Billy limits out. Only makes you still wonder as you are right now

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

Is it worth it? Hard No!

Is it fun and helpful once a blue moon on specific lakes? YES.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

What very few benefits They had for open water were eliminated when side view and down view came along. Completely worthless in a boat. For icefishing, they entertain people and do help find weed lines so they have a little use for ice. But that’s just my opinion, a lot of people still like them

Hodag Hunter
    Northern Wisconsin

If I had an underwater camera I would NEVER catch a fish. I would be watching the screen – hunting them all day. For me fishing is just a way to kill time until hunting season.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Dan wrote:</div>

I have one….really never use it. It’s a bit of a novelty when <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>ice fishing

I think the questions already been answered on any consideration for use in a boat. There isn’t any good enough reason in a boat.

It’s primarily an ice fishing toy and even then I would say its popularity is more specific to sleeper houses and the wheelhouse community.

Where I ice fish there are literally thousands of such ice dwellings so the market is still there.
    Run’n’gun or even setting up a portable for an afternoon makes them not much worth the bother.

When you’re set up out there for hours and multiple days the camera is worth it. Plenty of down time drinking beer between jigging and flasher watching to have the camera on. Fun to see what swims by and it’s quite the novelty for grandkids.

I have the tripod panner and use it every time I drop the camera down.

tim hurley

Have had mine in my boat all year and am yet to use it. I actually love it for run and gun ice fishing I have a small one with a reel,camera is a tool and not a novelty toy for me.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

I use mine in the winter, sure helped identify species of fish. I’d guess, then use camera to confirm. Not much swims in the river in the winter that I cannot almost positively identify the species from my si…. couldn’t have done it without the camera. Mostly I learned how fish of different species school and in what currents. Obviously little details on si is of equal importance.

Of course it gets used less and less with each passing year.

On IDO the answer is always have it all and use when appropriate.

Guilty of not reading a response but the OP

tim hurley

Species ID is big sometimes, lots of lakes in or near the metro that have swarms of small sunnies, but the crappies are good, the only electronic that can tell you the difference is a camera, again more of an ice thing for me.

mahtofire14
    Mahtomedi, MN

Had a Marcum camera a couple years ago. Worked great in clear water. But you need pretty clear water. I used it a few trips out and then got sick of taking the time to set it up, and it’s just one more thing to haul out onto the ice. They work well and are fun in the right conditions but I don’t personally think they are worth the money.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

Species ID is big sometimes, lots of lakes in or near the metro that have swarms of small sunnies, but the crappies are good, the only electronic that can tell you the difference is a camera, again more of an ice thing for me.

Err. Naw. I disagree.

JoeMX1825
    MN

Had a Marcum camera a couple years ago. Worked great in clear water. But you need pretty clear water. I used it a few trips out and then got sick of taking the time to set it up, and it’s just one more thing to haul out onto the ice. They work well and are fun in the right conditions but I don’t personally think they are worth the money.

I agree with this except if you can find a good used one, then it’s worth the money. No way I would pay the $500-$700 new prices though…I have a Marcum VS825SD I got used for $300 several years ago and while it can be a pita to setup in the freezing cold, it’s nice to have when the bite is tough and you can see what action gets the fish to bite. I’m starting to use it more and more in the summer months now to see underwater structure (the camera fin is a must)

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

We learn what the bottom structure is that shows up on your fish locator. I know what clam shells look like compared to rocks or stones.

I know of two guys that fish tourneys. They prefish. One is on the camera and the other with a rod. They’ve done very well in the past (in the money fishing the river).

A camera on the river in the summer (like right now) is pretty worthless much like LOTW. If a hand isn’t visible 6″ into the water a camera won’t do you any good. So keep that in mind because only you know what body of water you mostly fish.

SI is great for those that put in the time to know what they are seeing…and that takes time on the water (nothing trumps time on the water). There are time when a person can see what the fish are feeding on. If your camera is usable, there isn’t anything better except for some fins and a snorkel.

“MOST OFTEN” with walleyes, they will be spooked by the camera. I won’t say they never bite but seldom when a camera is hanging near them. Cats, panfish, bass seem to be ok with them.

It’s really your call. I will say that most folks do not take the time to drop one in the summer months from my experience.

shady5

I didn’t read through all of the posts so this may have been said, but the issue I’ve had with my cameras is water clarity. Generally, most lake are not clear enough to get good images, especially in deeper water where there’s little light.

tim hurley

FishBlood-not sure what part of my comment you do not agree with, mostly I was agreeing with you! Maybe you are talking about fish id from a boat, some can look at a pale white mark the size of a seasame seed and know that that detail free thing is a 17” walleye and not a 16” sucker, that aint me. Of course many are looking at a school of suckers and wondering why the ‘walleyes’ are not biting.

FishBlood&RiverMud
    Prescott

FishBlood-not sure what part of my comment you do not agree with, mostly I was agreeing with you! Maybe you are talking about fish id from a boat, some can look at a pale white mark the size of a seasame seed and know that that detail free thing is a 17” <strong class=”ido-tag-strong”>walleye and not a 16” sucker, that aint me. Of course many are looking at a school of suckers and wondering why the ‘walleyes’ are not biting.

They school differently. Every fish. On water with current anyway. I cannot say the same for a lake, but if I fish lakes I’d certainly learn how fish school in a lake by using my si and a camera.

Soooooo many suckers are fishing suckers…or BIG shad.

But, it is important to identify these things when your settings are showing fish much larger than sesame seeds. Sesame seed fish means your structure fishing with si, and not using it as a fish finder.
    We’ve been over this.
    Didn’t mean to offend if I did Tim. Everybody, mostly, is hear to learn and help teach.

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

Everybody, mostly, is hear to learn and help teach.

This IS a good reminder for everybody.

I try to remember this as well when some threads become “emotionally charged” to learn what I can.

My learning/teaching ratio is like 90/10 but today I can teach everyone that you’ll catch more fish with a purple jig than with no jig at all. waytogo

tim hurley

Crappies and sunnies school the same, they even school together. Someone is now thinking they don’t ALWAYS school the same, true but you usually can’t tell with a Vex. You learned how to do the species ID part in part as you said with your camera, so it has its place. No offense taken.

critter 1

Ice fishing shallow water, like the river backwaters less than 5 feet deep I wouldn’t be without it. More useful to me than my flasher. To see how the fish react to my presentation is priceless. Watching a fish come in from a distance and react is a learning experience every time. Plus it’s just plain fun to watch what is there. Only drawback is you have to use a schack. Outside you can not see a thing.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 31 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.