well this sucks

• rangerforme

If there are still birds around you can still kill them, you may just have to hunt differently than those before you, leave the decoys/blinds at home and get off the fields. Get in the woods, call less, call more softly, etc. Move more to get on an active bird.

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

Get out of there and find a new spot!!

I’ve hunted a property the last two years that receives a good amount of pressure and I can tell you for a fact that birds become “blind shy”! Those that tell you they don’t haven’t hunted turkey’s enough to see it first hand. The only way around it is to completely camo in your blind with branches and whatever else you can find. You need to camo it in like your deer hunting from it. To me that takes too much time and effort that you shouldn’t need to do for turkey hunting. I would rather spend that time looking for a new spot.

dennisdalan
    St Cloud, MN

I guess I’m one of those guys that believes you can put a blind up anywhere, anytime and kill a turkey even in pressured situations. This is not directed at anyone in particular but I think people are to quick to blame the blind than admit operator error. Decoys, calling, being silhouetted, not enough black in a blacked backed blind, noise, these are all mistakes that I have made and these are the things I believe have caused me to eat a tag not the blind. Unless a turkey learns to talk, we will never know…
    Just my opinion.

I believe I have spent a little bit of time hunting turkeys.

To answer the original question, if there are turkeys there, they can be killed. Just need to find the right bird that’s in the right mood.

Good luck!

protourbaits
    stillwater, MN

Thanks guys! The blind is all black inside and we are dressed basically in ninja suits My brother even put took mascara from his wife and put some on his hands because he doesn’t like shooting w/ gloves on
    I forgot to mention that this was the second time that birds have spooked once they saw the blind Like Dennis is saying, we could try to move the blind into the woods but i don’t know if it would be worth it, but something to try

SteveHuettl
    South Metro

The number of hunters using blinds has sky rocketed in the past 5 years. That being said why can’t turkey’s become “blind shy”? Deer certainly don’t have a problem becoming “blind shy” so why not turkey’s as well! It’s a simple thing I like to call “survival”!! Every animal out there has one thing in common…the ability to adapt and survive to the conditions given. With more blinds being used these days it’s only a matter of time before turkey’s adapt to this and begin to register them as danger.

Like I said, it’s a simple matter of survival!

Just my opinion of course…

alanmdk

I don’t buy it.

Turkeys are not capable of the complex thought proccess it would take to identify a blind as a threat.

I think as turkey hunter we all assume that something was wrong with our setup, blind, calling, or decoys. Truth is sometimes it is something we’ve done, and sometimes a branch moving from the wind could send them running. I don’t know as much as some of you, but from what I’ve seen in the times I’ve hunted is a turkey will hang up on anything. A branch, a puddle, a shadow, or even an immaginary line, yet we assume they are capable of associating a stationary object with danger? I’m not drinking that cool-aid.

I think some are giving these birds a little to much credit. They are a basic animal that do have survival instincts, but those instincts are pretty much limited to breeding, food/water, and roosting. Of course, Im not sure I have enough experiance, so its just my opinion.

CW

SLACK
    HASTINGS, MN

i totally agree with CW on this one, if there are birds they can be hunted, don’t make it so complicated that you trick yourself. think outside of the box alittle bit. IMO turkeys are the dummest critter in the woods.

Brad Juaire
    Maple Grove, MN

Quote:

One hunter said he already shot 2 gobblers earlier in the season

Is this in MN? I hope not…

Odds are something else (and not the blind) scared those 3 birds off since they flew off.

A tactic I use to hunt pressured birds is to pattern them and find out there travel routes, strutting zones and roosting areas. Get in between them and where they want to go and call very little.

Viewing 8 posts - 31 through 38 (of 38 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.