Usage of strutting tom decoy?

• coppertop
    Central MN

With a last minute purchase of a B MOBILE strutting tom decoy I am wondering if anybody has any suggestions for my set up. In the past I’ve got to say I’ve had better luck with no decoy at all, although I also have 2 hens and a jake. Last year I purchased a gooble shaker after 2 days of a frustrating bowhunt and had great success but failed to fill my tag. My season starts this Sun and I’ve heard toms tend to shy from jake decoys in the later seasons so I thought of setting up 2 hens and a my strutting tom? This is only my 5th turkey season and am learning as I go. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Randy

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

A buddy of mine and his brother have had great luck with the B Mobile. They shot 3 toms this year with bow, and didnt have any trouble getting them down to within 15 yards. Using B Mobile and a hen decoy, sitting in a blind in the middle of a hay field.

nick858
    Eldora, Iowa

A buddy of mine and his brother have had great luck with the B Mobile. They shot 3 toms this year with bow, and didnt have any trouble getting them down to within 15 yards. Using B Mobile and a hen decoy, sitting in a blind in the middle of a hay field.

fulvescens

I usually put the tom out with two hens. I put the tom at 10 yds facing the blind so he lines up in the window I shoot out of. I leave the window open to shoot. I’ll put one hen within 5 yds of the blind and the other off to the side of the tom. I have always hunted the G and H season in MN and have never had trouble decoying birds. Usually when a gobbler sees the strutting tom they come right to him and ignore the hens. They will often circle the strutter before they attack it.

fulvescens

I usually put the tom out with two hens. I put the tom at 10 yds facing the blind so he lines up in the window I shoot out of. I leave the window open to shoot. I’ll put one hen within 5 yds of the blind and the other off to the side of the tom. I have always hunted the G and H season in MN and have never had trouble decoying birds. Usually when a gobbler sees the strutting tom they come right to him and ignore the hens. They will often circle the strutter before they attack it.

coppertop
    Central MN

Thanks for the help guys!

coppertop
    Central MN

Thanks for the help guys!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.