Turkey Newbie Questions

• Hoyt4
    NULL

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>gimruis wrote:</div>
    Is an owl a predator of an adult wild turkey?

Yes. An owl is the only predator that can hunt and kill an adult turkey in the roost. Nothing else that’s big enough to kill them can get at them in the roost.

Fishers actually get Turkeys in roost and are getting more common in areas. Not as many trappers right now.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Yes. An owl is the only predator that can hunt and kill an adult turkey in the roost. Nothing else that’s big enough to kill them can get at them in the roost.

Fishers actually get Turkeys in roost and are getting more common in areas. Not as many trappers right now.

Very few fishers where I hunt turkeys, but I have seen them further north in the hardwoods when I used to deer hunt up there.

Every once in a while I’ll see a coyote or two when I’m turkey hunting. That probably explains why I don’t see any turkeys that day too.

stevenoak

Like a lot of animal calling. Less is often more. Some of my best mid-morning luck has been with a tom that appears to be done with his steady girlfriends. That’s out trolling for some strange. I’ll start quiet, get increasingly louder till his head pops up. Then stop and wait. Sooner or later his curiosity will get him, and he’ll come check you out. Not the most exciting way, but often gets it done. The owl call basically scares the turkey. I would only use it night before locating. Or if I know the only turkeys are quite aways away. Day of I would use turkey or maybe crow call to locate.

Brad Dimond

I’ve seen fishers for years while deer hunting in St. Louis County. They love gut piles. Five years ago I darn near hit the ditch when I saw turkeys on the gravel road leading to the hunting shack. We now see them regularly on the roads and in the woods. I am sure a fisher would love to make a snack of one of them.

Brittman

I have had a coyote come in 10 yards (probably less) behind me … heard a stick snap … turn around there it was.

I have had a black bear cub come in about 25 yards out. First thought the black moving at me through the brush was a Tom, since the gobbler had gone silent. Nope. When the cub stood up and scratched its front claws on a tree … I thought Oh Boy. I am sure momma bear was down the hill and just out of sight. I moved out of the area pretty quickly – did not care to find out. Managed to not leave anything behind.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.