Toyota Tundra

• Rivergills
    Wisconsin

For those of you driving a tundra how do you like them? In the market for a new truck and looking at options. I have done a little research and looks like the reliability is rated high. Thanks for any info.

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

For those of you driving a tundra how do you like them? In the market for a new truck and looking at options. I have done a little research and looks like the reliability is rated high. Thanks for any info.

What are you planning on doing with the tundra?

Here’s my pros and cons after about a year of owning a 2014 SR5 CrewMax.

Power for days. I don’t worry about having to pull anything. I rarely thought about my ranger 1880 on my trips to and from the lake.

So much room in the cab. I have a kid and two vizslas that share the backseat and haven’t had an issue.

Not many bells and whistles which is something I like.

Full rear window that rolls down is AWESOME.

cons:
    You don’t skip any fuel stops, especially while towing.

If you get cloth seats, get seat covers before you get home from the dealership.

The size of tires is going to make the replacement cost hurt a little.

oh, fuel mileage sucks when not towing as well. (make sure you get the bigger tank)

did I mention fuel consumption?

Overall, I like the truck. I wanted a 6.2L GMC but couldn’t find one. To be honest, I’ll probably stick with a tundra for the next vehicle.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

I had the 6.2L in a 2010 Silverado with 3.73 gears and loved it. Got great mileage empty (anywhere from 16.5-19.5 mix mostly highway) and as long as I wasn’t in too big of a hurry I’d average 12.5 with an 18.5 ft boat behind me.

Only downfall I will say with it is when you had too heavy of a load the vortec need rpm’s for torque and hp and when you cross that threshold your mileage is in 1/2. I pulled a heavy enclosed to our cabin that was just heavy enough to have to drop a gear and averaged about 8.

gunsmith89
    eyota, mn

Sorry replying to DMHEID’s bottom response. I also know people with Tundra’s and have never heard a power complain but have heard about the fuel mileage several times.

Mr. Derek
    NULL

I have a ’14 double cab tundra that I bought new and it currently has 127k on it. It has been to the dealership once since I bought it and it was from a rodent playing with some wires. The fuel mileage isn’t terrible unless you are in the city or going over 70mph. The one thing I tell people is that if you are used to a truck with auto 4 wheel drive or a transfercase with a differential you will miss not having it in the tundra. When the roads have patchy ice or just the intersections are icy it is a pain not being able to leave it in 4wd.

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I have have a SR5 crewmax 2012. I’ll second how great the full rear power window is.

Fuel is not “that” bad…I’m around 15-16 mgp overall. It’s slightly a rougher ride then others I’ve been in…kinda bouncy.

Power has been great, I mean, it’s pulled a space shuttle!

I have just over 100,000 miles. Needs new brake pads. It has only seen the shop twice on stupid things…and it’s my complaint with Toyota, not the truck. Both these trips dealt with my E85 engine (I’ve never put that crap in my truck) but it’s because of the sensors I guess. Both were known issues and took all of 5 minutes for a computer patch update…don’t know why Toyota wouldn’t just fix these TSB when you bring it in for annual service but whatever.

It’s been a great truck. I’ll most likely buy again pending the next 100,00 miles! Just never an E85 model.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Only complaint is have on mine is the tailgate seems pretty weak to the point i bought a trailer to pull my fourwheeler. I Googled this and it turns out some have completely buckled loading atvs, other than that I have 2014 and it’s the best truck I’ve ever owned.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

Sh*t, my ‘04 3.4L V6 Tacoma 4wd gets an average of 16 mpg, mostly city. 5 speed manual.

Those tundras are SWEET.

sticker
    StillwaterMN/Ottertail county

I wouldn’t be caught dead in one, but that’s just me. I have zero experience with them and never will.

PmB

Thanks for the info

ClownColor
    Inactive
    The Back 40

I wouldn’t be caught dead in one, but that’s just me. I have zero experience with them and never will.

Good for you and thanks for the input!

Aaron Kalberer

Bob to make you feel better, my wifes Yukon had to go in and have the computer updated because I wasn’t running e85 in that either, sensors got confused on the fuel air mixture and started overfueling the engine, so definitely not just a Toyota deal.

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

I have a Sequoia, which shares much of the driveline with the Tundra. The 5.7 motor is a beast–I absolutely love it. Gas mileage is my only complaint, but I knew that going in. I think you’d be pleased with a Tundra.

DMHEID
    Bismarck, ND

Overall, I think you’ll be happy in one. at 100k miles, have the belts switched out and go for another 100k.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Drive a 2010 TRD Tundra with a 4.6, with 170,000 miles on it. Oil changes, tires and brake pads/drums is all I’ve had to do on it. Prior truck was a 2003 Tundra that I totaled (flipped it off the Interstate on black ice one morning) with 127,000 miles and no issues on it either.
    Only complaint is gas mileage, but that is a known fact going in on these trucks. Also you will not get the “creature comforts” of the other half tons. What you will get is a reliable, tough truck that will last. My 4.6 pulls my 18.5 foot Tyee and a weeks worth of camping gear with no problem, the 5.7 would be even stronger.
    When I replace mine next spring, it will be with another Tundra. FWIW I’ve driven 4 different toyota trucks since 1990 putting on over 530,000 miles and have not had one major repair to do. Maybe I just got lucky, but it sure makes buying something else tough to even consider.

B-man

Only complaint is have on mine is the tailgate seems pretty weak to the point i bought a trailer to pull my fourwheeler. I Googled this and it turns out some have completely buckled loading atvs, other than that I have 2014 and it’s the best truck I’ve ever owned.

Seriously??

diesel
    Menomonee Falls, WI

2017 Crew Max with 5.7 engine. Had a 4.0 L 4Runner before that. Love the room, ride, and towing for the truck (17.5ft competitor with 150,9.9 kicker and sometimes a 3500lb boy scout trailer). Family loves it and took it to the Smokey mountains for a road trip. Very comfortable trip and broke 19 mpg on the highway!! Also was surprised that I have never seen so many tundras in one area ever. Seemed like every third truck was one! Back to reality at home and mileage is back to normal. Had a diehard Dodge man in the truck for a road trip for fishing and he was shocked at the ride and interior of the truck. Told him my mileage and he was also shocked as he got worse per gallon based on his driving habits. He stated he would still never own a toyota but he was impressed with it.

Have a friend that has the exact same truck and pulls a 24 foot camper every weekend in the summer. He also loves his truck, towing and ride. WE both did the research also and talked to mechanics. Reliability is rated very high.

Mileage is what it is. Love the towing of my boat and wish I had the truck when my son was a infant. Got more room now when I could have used it back then for when the wife packed the entire house up for roadtrips!!

Again…did I say I love the truck. Tried to get he least amount of bells and whistle because don’t need them.

D

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

Love my tundra but truth is a weak tailgate

Attachments:
    1. Screenshot_2018-12-27-14-14-05.png

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>sticker wrote:</div>

Good for you and thanks for the input!

Right? Lol

Gitchi Gummi

resale seems to be quite a bit higher for Tundra’s than the comparable Ford/Chevy/Dodge half ton. Also in general, there seems to be a lot less major issues with engines and drive train in Tundra’s than the Ford/Chevys for sure.. Don’t know enough about Dodge.

AUTO_5
    Inactive
    Mendota Heights, MN

My boss has the 5.7 and he beats the living hell out of it. Drives it cold, manually shifts a lot, almost redlining it much of the time. Has done this consistently for 100k miles, mostly hauling trailer loaded past the max with steel and tools, welders, etc. Zero issues yet.

A – Aron
    Red Wing

Dad has a 07 with the 5.7.

Over 325k miles on it. Only thing he has done is put a rear axle in it at 300k miles. Made several trips to ID and back. Used it to haul horses and cattle regularly.

I teased him so bad when he first bought it. ” I was 18 and knew it all” But If someone told me to go buy a truck I would buy a Tundra. He beat the snot out of that truck and he still drives it.

Lee

2017 SR, I get 16-18 on the highway, 11 when I’m towing or with the slide-in camper. 13-14 general driving in the winter. Always been a F guy, drove a lot of them in my search. Drove one Toyota- bought it. My son did the same thing.
    *Most American made truck there is…look it up.
    Highest resale or trade-in value of pickup trucks.
    There are other trucks with more gizmos/features, this has more than I can figure out already.
    Payload is higher than an F-150, less than a 250.
    Towing is adequate.Maybe not enough for a constant fifth wheel across the country, I dunno…
    It’s been great so far 50k

Jim Stoeckel
    Above the clouds.

I’ve got a 2015 crewmax Platinum. Three quick changes: I ditched the original tires before I ever drove it. The demo felt like I was driving on inner tubes. Second, put in HID headlights and fog lights. Couldn’t believe they still had halogens in their top of the line truck. Third, pulled all 4 shocks and put in the Bilstein shocks from the TRD package. It drives and rides like a dream now.
    I looked at a f150, but couldn’t justify the significant price increase, but especially the resale. I otherwise liked the Ford. People say they don’t care about resale as they are keeping the truck for a long time. Guess what- accidents happen.
    Previously had a 2007 Tundra Limited. No major issues and traded it with only 78,000 miles for a bigger cab. 8 years old and got 2/3 of what I paid new for it. Multiple publications and my experience say the same thing. NOTHING holds it’s value better in the 1/2 ton trucks than the Tundra.
    Mileage varies between 16 and 19 on the highway. I pull a big Skeeter and have plenty of power. Mileage does go down to between 11 and 13 depending on the winds. Your right foot will have a bigger effect on the gas mileage than the motor ever will, regardless of what truck you drive.

Rivergills
    Wisconsin

Thanks for all the info. How do you guys like the ride generally speaking? Looking at the TRD off road pkg. Also considering the f150. Thanks

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

Friend of mine had an 07. Pulled his Ranger 621 everywhere. Only complaint I ever heard was about fuel economy.

xplorer
    Cloquet, MN

Thanks for all the info. How do you guys like the ride generally speaking? Looking at the TRD off road pkg. Also considering the f150. Thanks

I’ve driven the TRD package on my last 2 Tundras since 2003 and just under 300,000 miles. The ride is comfortable whether driving out to Montana for a family vacation or doing A bit of off roading on URL or LOTW. I drive from Cloquet to UMD every day for work and it’s nice on the highway (at 170000 I’m finishing my third set of tires, the original BF goodrich, a set of Goodyear’s, and now a set of Michelin’s.). The Bilstein shocks are very nice. Great control pulling my 1850 Tyee and a load.
    I have no experience with the F150 so can’t compare.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.