Took my Buddy out and he got a beast!

• Tyler Thimsen

Went out recently with my buddy Tanner. He has NEVER fished in the rivers for the entire 17 years he’s lived here in Colorado. Had to take him out and show him the ropes…Couldn’t have asked for a better time! (besides hooking myself twice, the first was pretty bad)

We hit the Colorado River and Roaring Fork River, 3 different spots total.
    Colorado river was a little stained but nothing too bad yet.
    Roaring Fork was nice and clear!

We landed some really nice fish, including my buddy landing a really nice Brown Trout, probably a Master Angler but didn’t have a measuring tape/board nearby and didn’t want to kill the fish. Always fun when days like this work out. Glad I didn’t take him out to get skunked lol.

Credit definitely goes to the HD Trout from Dynamic Lures. I know most people here probably don’t target trout very often, but if you do, pick some of these up. They work so well!

Attached are some photos of the day and also a link to the video! Hope you all enjoy!!

Attachments:
    1. F-brown1.jpg

2. F-Bow2.jpg

3. F-Bow1.jpg

4. Thmbwork.jpg

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Wow, you got it on video to!! Whats the odds of that.

Ice Cap

Those are some gorgeous fish!

Tyler Thimsen

Wow, you got it on video to!! Whats the odds of that.

Wish we would’ve gotten the whole catch but glad we at least got the fish and the underwater release! Glad to just get him into some fish for his first ever river outing! Thanks for watching!

Tyler Thimsen

Those are some gorgeous fish!

With Spring right around the corner in my area, the patterns on the trout out of the rivers get really vibrant. Love fishing the rivers during this time! Thanks for the kind words!

Deleted

Congrats, wish trout tasted better than old socks. With the exception of rainbows in Lake Michigan, I can’t seem to get excited about them.

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Love the pics Tyler…..thanks for sharing!

eyeguy507
    SE MN

Congrats, wish trout tasted better than old socks. With the exception of rainbows in Lake Michigan, I can’t seem to get excited about them.

how are you cooking them? how are bows from LM that much different besides 15 lbs bigger? I pan fry mine in butter with some garlic and lemmon pepper and the best part is the skin. top 5 best eating fish in my book.

Deleted

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

how are you cooking them? how are bows from LM that much different besides 15 lbs bigger? I pan fry mine in butter with some lemmon pepper and the best part is the skin. top 5 best eating fish in my book.

I smoke LM rainbows with my salmon if I get them. Can hardly tell the smoked filets apart. Brown Trout, I’ve tried smoking also and even just grilling in foil w/ butter & garlic. Maybe it’s me but I just can’t find a way to like browns? My brother loves them.

Tyler Thimsen

Up on the Grand Mesa, mostly all the BoW have a multitude of freshwater shrimp in them, mixed with that clean and clear high mountain water, they taste 100x better then any other trout i’ve had (and I eat a lot of trout). Wish I could smoke some and instantly put it in front of you haha. EVERYONE that has had them has agreed. The meat even looks like salmon meat! Thanks for the kind words too btw D

eyeguy507
    SE MN

the foil grill thing is a time saver and I do it too ONLY when the wife is home and going to cry about me cooking fish in a pan! When she leaves, I throw those bad boys in a pan and get that skin nice and crispy on high. The tail is like a potato chip soaking up all the flavor as well as the skin. Easiest cleaning fish too. I have only had a couple this year but with the way things are looking, I may have to keep a few if I get on em?

Tyler Thimsen

the foil grill thing is a time saver and I do it too ONLY when the wife is home and going to cry about me cooking fish in a pan! When she leaves, I throw those bad boys in a pan and get that skin nice and crispy on high. The tail is like a potato chip soaking up all the flavor as well as the skin. Easiest cleaning fish too. I have only had a couple this year but with the way things are looking, I may have to keep a few if I get on em?

Haha luckily I have a woman that doesn’t mind that, I just prefer smoking them more then anything D …I here you when it comes to keeping more fish! I’m heading out this weekend to get a stringer full myself…Good luck and stay safe out there!!

Walleyestudent Andy Cox
    Garrison MN-Mille Lacs

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Thomas Nichols wrote:</div>

how are you cooking them? how are bows from LM that much different besides 15 lbs bigger? I pan fry mine in butter with some garlic and lemmon pepper and the best part is the skin. top 5 best eating fish in my book.

100% agree, pan fried trout is easily a top 5.

I would definitely prefer it over smoked any day.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

I always pan fry the smaller ones and smoke the bigger ones. What difference does it make if the dog ends up eating most of it anyway? Trout are delicious any way you cook them in my opinion.

Tyler Thimsen

Whats a good pan fry recipe you guys use? That is something people suggest, and probably the least-common way for myself to cook them.

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Can’t go wrong with butter, garlic, and onions. On anything. Works just fine for the grill or oven as well

Tyler Thimsen

Can’t go wrong with butter, garlic, and onions. On anything. Works just fine for the grill or oven as well

Do you score the fish at all?

moustachesteve
    Twin Cities

Nope, but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt anything. I put butter, minced garlic, and diced onions inside the fish cavity and around it in the pan, then butter baste the trout as it cooks. Just a couple minutes on each side.

Tyler Thimsen

Nope, but I suppose it wouldn’t hurt anything. I put butter, minced garlic, and diced onions inside the fish cavity and around it in the pan, then butter baste the trout as it cooks. Just a couple minutes on each side.

We’re going to do a catch and cook trying that exact way, i’ll be sure to shout you out! Thanks for the information and idea Moustachesteve!!!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.