Too windy?

• Hatch99

Does anyone have a suggestion for a walleye lake on highway 47 when Mille Lacs gets too windy? I would like to be able to take my grandson out and on some days Mille Lacs is just too nasty for him. He gets really bummed out when we can’t fish!

Craig Sery
    Bloomington, MN

Fish the calm side, plenty of areas not far from shore

Gregg Gunter

Borden? Fish survey looks good. I haven’t been on it since about 1975. I liked it then.

Ripjiggen

I’m not that great on reading a whole post. jester

Hatch99

I have a tendency to do that as well! Yes, I am looking for lakes on 47. I have fished some of the lakes on the west side already.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I have a tendency to do that as well! Yes, I am looking for lakes on 47. I have fished some of the lakes on the west side already.

Knife Lake near Mora, just east of hwy 47 is a decent fishing lake.

I also spent a summer doing DNR surveys on a few small lakes near Aitkin, including Sissabagamah Lake which isn’t far of hwy 47. That lake had particularly good bass fishing but was loaded with small, stunted pike. Bear in mind this was about 16 years ago.

ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Hatch99 wrote:</div>

Knife Lake near Mora, just east of hwy 47 is a decent fishing lake.

I also spent a summer doing DNR surveys on a few small lakes near Aitkin, including Sissabagamah Lake which isn’t far of hwy 47. That lake had particularly good bass fishing but was loaded with small, stunted pike. Bear in mind this was about 16 years ago.

When I was very young, my Dad used to take me to Sissabagama every opener. It is the perfect lake for kids. Tons of action with small northers. This was 50 or more years ago. So it appears that nothing has changed.

CaptainMusky

I’m not that great on reading a whole post.

Its not that far from 47 and is a nice lake. My Aunt and Uncle have a cabin on Little Pine lake which is connected to Farm Island. Its navigable from Farm Island. Nice small little lake that doesnt get too much recreational boat activity. Overlooked lake I think.

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

Fish the calm side, plenty of areas not far from shore

Agree! If you are going to trailer up, there is always somewhere to fish.

Two web cams at the same time / date. One calm, one not so much! (Agate Bay Resort and Twin Pines Resort.)

-J.

Attachments:
    1. twin-pines-webcam.jpg

2. agate-bay-webcam.jpg

Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

I don’t consider the lakes on 47 to be that great walleye wise. If you go fish Clear, Rabbit, Long, Dam be set up for panfish, bass and pike. There will be enough action for any kid to keep busy.

-J.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

When I was very young, my Dad used to take me to Sissabagama every opener. It is the perfect lake for kids. Tons of action with small northers. This was 50 or more years ago. So it appears that nothing has changed.

Part of the reason this lake was included in a survey the year I was doing it for the DNR was because they were considering implementing a lake-specific slot for pike. I only gathered the data from May – Sept that season and then turned it all in, along with data from several other lakes. The biologists were the ones who interpreted it and then recommended changes.

This was back when there wasn’t statewide slot restrictions for pike too. Of course now, there is.

Yes, there’s plenty of action for pike and panfish in many of these smaller lakes. They are not great for walleye even though they are stocked in many of them. I personally believe that you will net more walleyes even on the calmer side of Mille Lacs than you would if you fished one of the smaller local lakes.

Hatch99

Thanks again to everyone!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.