wax

• castertroy

When waxing the boat, should I do the bottom too?

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Funny, BK had the same question when waxing his legs.

dewarsh2o
    Northfield, MN

I have always heard the answer to that is “no”, which seems counter intuitive.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

BK would love for you to wax his,,,,,
    OK back to subject.
    I wish I could thouroly clean and wax the bottom of my Lund boat!

My answer would have to be “Yes” and why not to reduce drag and the rest of the odvious bennifits?

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Wax this…

I’ve never hear that a boat bottom shouldn’t be waxed…although I can seldom get the fw under there.

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

Best answer I could find. FW lucked out again….

Quote:

I would not wax the pad. Let me qualify this in that I have no data to back this up, but I am an engineer with some fluid dynamics background. Here is why I say not to wax the pad. When fluid flows over the surface at relatively low speeds, (speeds that a typical boat would run are relatively low compared to many other applications such as air over a jetliner wing), it flows in what is called a laminar flow pattern. Essentially it flows smoothly and evenly over the surface. This smooth flow has a particular drag coefficient. When the flow reaches a high enough speed the flow pattern changes to what is known as turbulent flow. Under turbulent flow conditions the drag coefficient is significantly reduced as compared to the drag coefficient under laminar flow conditions. Here is where waxing comes in: Turbulence at the surface/fluid interface can be induced at lower velocities by roughness of the surface. In other words, a smooth surface would facilitate a smoother flow pattern and thus higher drag than a rough surface. As JB mentioned one of the best practical examples of this effect is golf balls. The first solid golf balls were smooth with no dimples. It did not take the pros of that day long to figure out that a ball that had been hit several time, scuffing up the surface, would fly farther than a new ball right out of the box. Pros began to use their practice rounds to hit all of the balls that they would use in the actual tournament rounds to scuff them up before the tournament began. Once the manufacturers understood what the pros were doing they began to produce balls with the pre-made “scuffs” and thus the birth of the modern dimpled golf ball.My conclusion is that I would not wax the pad on a boat. I do not know if a typical boat’s speeds are fast enough to take advantage of this effect of the surface roughness, but if so you will gain. If not, you will lose nothing.

Chris Nelson
    SSP,MN

The answer is actually no. The reason being water is natuarly sticky. By waxing the hull and makeing it smooth more water can stick and slow you down. When your hull is not waxed it is rougher in a sense creating less drag and the boat will be faster. I know of guys that actually lightly sand the hull for more speed.

Panther Guy

Denny O
    Central IOWA

Quote:

Wax this…

Humm, thanks for the offer but, I think I’ll pass.

cpetey
    Onalaska, Wi

I’d say no wax…I think it has something to do with Bernoulli’s Principle.

Denny O
    Central IOWA

What does the “Head Master” have to do with it?

matt-p
    White Bear Lake, MN

Quote:

Best answer I could find. FW lucked out again….

Quote:

I would not wax the pad. Let me qualify this in that I have no data to back this up, but I am an engineer with some fluid dynamics background. Here is why I say not to wax the pad. When fluid flows over the surface at relatively low speeds, (speeds that a typical boat would run are relatively low compared to many other applications such as air over a jetliner wing), it flows in what is called a laminar flow pattern. Essentially it flows smoothly and evenly over the surface. This smooth flow has a particular drag coefficient. When the flow reaches a high enough speed the flow pattern changes to what is known as turbulent flow. Under turbulent flow conditions the drag coefficient is significantly reduced as compared to the drag coefficient under laminar flow conditions. Here is where waxing comes in: Turbulence at the surface/fluid interface can be induced at lower velocities by roughness of the surface. In other words, a smooth surface would facilitate a smoother flow pattern and thus higher drag than a rough surface. As JB mentioned one of the best practical examples of this effect is golf balls. The first solid golf balls were smooth with no dimples. It did not take the pros of that day long to figure out that a ball that had been hit several time, scuffing up the surface, would fly farther than a new ball right out of the box. Pros began to use their practice rounds to hit all of the balls that they would use in the actual tournament rounds to scuff them up before the tournament began. Once the manufacturers understood what the pros were doing they began to produce balls with the pre-made “scuffs” and thus the birth of the modern dimpled golf ball.My conclusion is that I would not wax the pad on a boat. I do not know if a typical boat’s speeds are fast enough to take advantage of this effect of the surface roughness, but if so you will gain. If not, you will lose nothing.

being a engineer major that sounds about right..

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

Pro fisherman Eric Olson proved this in many years of testing. No wax. I could not find some of the articles written on the topic. For years, he had the fastest 620 on the circuit.

He actually discovered you will increase speed of any glass hull by scuffing up the surface. (Sandpaper/grinder/etc) There is solid science behind this approach.

There is a good article in the latest edition of Boaters World where designers are installing bubblers under the hull of larger boats. The bubbles decrease the adhesion of water to the hull. Therefore increasing hull efficiency of larger boats. Cool stuff!

-J.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.