MX 1825 almost 2 weeks in the books

• Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Almost two weeks is in the books for the new boat, I didn’t get out as much as I would have liked, but a guys gotta work and spend time with the family. I did manage 4 outings so far, two full days and 2 after work runs incorporating 3 different styles of fishing from pitching to rigging to trolling to try out all the new toys.

Once I got the boat home, I started loading her up with the “necessary” gear. Rods and reels went in first, the side holster as pictured has 6 full length trolling rods in it right now. 2 10’ 6 lead trolling rods, 2 9 footers long line rods and 2 8’6 lead rods. All fit in the holster easily, and come in and out without any problems. I do have rod gloves on these. I could probably fit a couple more in there with smaller diameter reels.

The front rod locker has 8 rods of varying lengths, all with rod gloves on, I could easily fit another 6-8 or even more in there. Again getting them in and out of the locker is easy.

Boxes went in next. Under the passenger console there are 12 Plano boxes tucked away nice and organized. I was planning on putting some sort of netting there to keep them in place, but so far this hasn’t been an issue. They fit nice and tight and come in/out pretty easily. The rear passenger storage also has 12 Plano boxes in there, of differing sizes. The driver side rear storage houses the oil reservoir, rod holders, extra gallon of oil, rags and a funnel, for those just in case moments. And a bottle of bass boat saver… To keep her nice and shiny!

The driver side storage has miscellaneous items in it, line, a couple small boxes, drying rags the rod to tie the kicker and main together. And the under drivers console shelf is pretty much empty at this point. The marine band radio, iPod and my phone sit there.

Up front driver’s side has 3 life jackets, throw able, paddle, extra rain gear. The passenger side, well that’s pretty much empty!! For now…

The glove box. Well that thing is MASSIVE! Not ever owning a boat with one, this one is huge. I have a camera, trolling bible a couple other odds and ends, and have room for the kitchen sink and refrigerator, that’s how big this thing is. Will be great for storing extra hats and gloves later in the year once this weather cools down a bit.

I currently have more gear in this boat than I did in my 1800 Lund Pro V, with lots of room to spare.

The new back deck is great, big and flat, makes pitching out of a dream. Can’t wait for a wing dam or pitching bite to fully utilize that area.

Performance

Ok it’s new, and I have been babying it getting in the proper break in, but I have cracked it open a few times. The hole shot is great, you mash the throttle and she hops out of the hole with a grumbling 2 stroke vigor and you’re on your way. WOT down river during one of the hotter days with 80 plus degree surface temp I was tickling 58 + down river. Up river 52-54. This is with full gas tank, and rear live well full. With Erick and I on Saturday on Pepin, full live well, ½ tank of gas and a flat calm lake we were running 54-55. I haven’t gotten to run the boat in any real rough conditions as of yet. Saturday when the boating traffic picked up with the tuna boats out in full force was a prime opportunity, but since Erick just had knee surgery, I took it easy. He’s fragile enough, didn’t want to hurt him anymore…..

The live well, is huge. I was fishing Pepin on Saturday with Erick Anderson (aka Big E), got into some nicer eater size fish, and since I haven’t had a fry in a long time, decided to keep a few for the pan for Sunday night. First fish went in the box at 7:30 am, last fish around 11:30. Throughout the day I was switching back and forth between the auto fill and auto recirculate. With surface temps hovering around 84, I didn’t give them much of a chance at staying alive. At the end of the day (2pm), all fish were still alive and swimming. The oxygenator and the sheer volume of it did its job.

Trailer with tuff coat is very very nice; it’s a little slippery, almost ate the side of the boat a couple times jumping in and out with wet flip flops on, going to look at adding some non slip tape to the fenders. It looks good and will hopefully last a lot longer than my other trailers did before it succumbs to rust. The Skeeter cut outs, and backup lights not only look good, but are functional. Makes backing into the garage at night much easier.

Fit and finish is great, no problems to gripe about. I did add some weather stripping on the battery compartment door, it did creek every time I walked over it, after the weather stripping was added, no more sounds.

Batteries – I did check the option for the Odyssey batteries. And they are heavy! I haven’t had a chance to give them a proper workout yet. I did spend the first day pitching wing dams, for 6 hours I jumped from dam to dam holding myself with the terrova and ipilot, and at the end of the day, I still had 4 bars left on the terrova meter. I’ll update more on the batteries as I get a chance to use them to their fullest.

A BIG “Thank you to Skeeter Boat Center!” Dave you were absolutely fabulous to work with, your customer service skills are top notch! From day one you’ve delivered on everything you said you would and more. Not to say there weren’t a few bumps in the road that weren’t under your control, but you keep me informed and I drove away a very happy customer.

Eric, well you and I do have a little history, so working with you on rigging was easy and fun with the friendly banter going back and forth. The workmanship is great, everything you added looked like it grew there, and I’m a bit surprised that I haven’t found a “gift” you could have easily have left me somewhere!

Last but not least a Big Thank you Bob Bowman at Wings Financial. Process was smooth and easy. We still need to have that lunch, without you, all the pre planning would have been for not! Thanks buddy!

Any and all questions are welcome, I’ll give you the best honest answer I can.

Jami

redneck
    Rosemount

I am jealous Jami What a great looking ride and it sounds like you have the room every river boat needs. Heck, it will pay for itself in no time at all with all the rods that won’t get stepped on I guess the only question is—could a Skeeter survive a “redneck” experience That question has been banging around in the back of my head for a while now—that is why I am steering clear of the Skeeter Boat Center. I am vulnerable

jon_jordan
    St. Paul, Mn

58.1 – very nice for a full tourney load!! Thanks for the review. I’m jelous.

-J.

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

I am jealous Jami What a great looking ride and it sounds like you have the room every river boat needs. Heck, it will pay for itself in no time at all with all the rods that won’t get stepped on I guess the only question is—could a Skeeter survive a “redneck” experience That question has been banging around in the back of my head for a while now—that is why I am steering clear of the Skeeter Boat Center. I am vulnerable

Only one way to find out Rich!!!

erick
    Grand Meadow, MN

Quote:

Quote:

Only one way to find out Rich!!!

Yep let me drive the damn thing next time!

mule170
    Bemidji

Jami what size boxes are those under the pass console? Where does your Ipod plug into, does it plug into the face of the stereo or under the dash? I have the Lowrance sat radio and I really dont want a cord hanging off the radio face! Thanks for the great report.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

I am jealous Jami …. I am vulnerable

As am I!!

Jamie, or anyone that knows…..how do the openings for the portside bow opening compare to the 1850. IE- can I get Special Mate box in the opening?? I realize I won’t be able to stuff 3 or 4 of them down there like the 1850, but with Plano box storage, I could fill them up with a days (weeks worth) worth of “ammo” and leave the rest of the arsenal behind

Great report!!

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Jami what size boxes are those under the pass console? Where does your Ipod plug into, does it plug into the face of the stereo or under the dash? I have the Lowrance sat radio and I really dont want a cord hanging off the radio face! Thanks for the great report.

Pretty sure they are 3700’s, granted i don’t know my plano boxes all that well, but those under the dash are my crank boxes.

There is a plug in just above the radio for accessories. i plug the ipod in and set it on the shelf under the console. planning on putting some velcro on it and sticking it to the console under the graph, haven’t gotten that far yet. updated with picture, you can see the little black circle to the upper left of the radio

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

Quote:

I am jealous Jami …. I am vulnerable

As am I!!

Jamie, or anyone that knows…..how do the openings for the portside bow opening compare to the 1850. IE- can I get Special Mate box in the opening?? I realize I won’t be able to stuff 3 or 4 of them down there like the 1850, but with Plano box storage, I could fill them up with a days (weeks worth) worth of “ammo” and leave the rest of the arsenal behind

Great report!!

Which special mate do you have? the 5 or 8″? I could measure tonight to see where/if it will fit

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I really like how there is room for both a 1100 series and 900 series HB on the dash. I want to do that on my dash someday in the future. Of course it’ll be a little tighter on the WX.

Joel Nelson
    Southeast MN

Great review Jami – I see the livewell comes with fish too! Very cool to see you’ve been getting out, this fall on the river should be good.

Joel

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Quote:

Which special mate do you have? the 5 or 8″? I could measure tonight to see where/if it will fit

Both. I can get (1) 8″ and (3) 5″‘s, (2) 8″s and (1) 5″, or (4) 5″s in the 1850 (portside bow). Really don’t need to carry that many, but I do b/c I can… Thanks in advance for lookin….

phigs
    Twin Cities, MN

looks like that boat needs some cat slime in it…

docfrigo
    Wisconsin

More than sweet Jamie!

What mount do you like better-the stabil or the RAM?

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

A BIG “Thank you to Skeeter Boat Center!” Dave you were absolutely fabulous to work with, your customer service skills are top notch! From day one you’ve delivered on everything you said you would and more. Not to say there weren’t a few bumps in the road that weren’t under your control, but you keep me informed and I drove away a very happy customer.

Eric, well you and I do have a little history, so working with you on rigging was easy and fun with the friendly banter going back and forth. The workmanship is great, everything you added looked like it grew there, and I’m a bit surprised that I haven’t found a “gift” you could have easily have left me somewhere!

Dont count your chickens before they are hatched buddy!!!! I cant believe it doesnt smell yet.

On a serious note, you do owe me a socket that is somewhere in that boat

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Another quick question Jami, or Eric….

What “set-up” did you use with the Smooth Moves?? pedestal height, set back plate?, spider slide?? Thanks again…

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

More than sweet Jamie!

What mount do you like better-the stabil or the RAM?

Both I was intending to use the 2 Stabil mounts I had, but couldn’t get them to work in that space. so far that ram mount has been pretty dang good. it has moved a little with some tuna waves, but nothing to bad, has more adjustability than the stabil. the stabil, well that thing is just solid.

fargotridad

awsome can’t wait to get mine in the spring

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Quote:

What “set-up” did you use with the Smooth Moves?? pedestal height, set back plate?, spider slide?? Thanks again…

Mike, not sure, i took them out of my last boat.

Bob Bowman
    MN

Great review and sweet looking boat

Lets do lunch in the boat, congrats on the new ride

Eric Rehberg
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Im not exactly sure on the correct terminology for the parts but it is the standard base with the short 4″ post. No set back plate and just the standard smooth move seat base.

I wish i had some better terminology for you but that is all I have since that is the way I have ordered them before and he knows what Im talking about.

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Thanks Eric…I’m just pulling terminology of their site. I had to / decided to put the set-back plates and spider slide in the 1850. Just to close to console w/o them. I’ve also got the 4″ pedestal, and feel a bit low at times. Seat cushion fixes that when I want to look over the windshield though. Just curious how they were being set up in the MX. Not that I’m looking at getting one or anything.

Any word on whether a Special Mate box(es) will slip in the port side bow locker??

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Sorry mike, forgot to look at that. if eric has time maybe he can take measurements, if not i’ll get thta done tonight.

Jami

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Sounds good…. Thanks Jami.

dmarkq01
    Eau Claire, WI

Hi Jami,
    Thanks for the business! Enjoyed working with you on purchase of your new MX1825. She’s a beauty!! Looking forward to hearing updates how she performs for you!
    Dave

Jami Ritter
    Hastings, MN

Sorry this took so long mike… my bad

here are some pictures of the passenger side front compartment

Pictures go from back to middle to front of the compartment, width on top and bottom

last picture is the depth

mike-g
    Bloomington,MN

Thanks Jami.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.