Shortage of Leeches?

• Tim Chrouser

Headed up to Rainy Lake on 8/29 for 6 days. Meeting up with my brother from Northern Wisconsin, who is the chairman of our Leech Procurement committee. He said that he’s having a hard time finding bait shops that have leeches in his neck-of-the-woods. You guys see that happening by you? I’m going up through Duluth and staying overnight at a hotel in Virginia. Any good bait shops you could recommend (or contact in advance). Thanks!

Ralph Wiggum
    Maple Grove, MN

Not near you, but I was looking for leeches in west central MN a few weeks ago, and the bait shop owner said it’s been a bad leech year, and he didn’t think they’d get any more this summer.

Pat K
    Empire, MN

Leeches are always tough to find in August but Vados Bait in Mpls had quite a few leeches on hand last weekend. If they still have some you shouldn’t have any trouble having them shipped to you or your brother by 8/29

Dusty Gesinger
    Minnetrista, Minnesota

Don’t think your brother can bring them from Wisconsin anymore. I would start looking around where you live. Might be slim pickings by then.

brian_peterson
    Eagan, MN

Malmo is darn near out. Tutts has a few…Garrison Sports has a decent supply. But he prepared for 60 bucks a pound. Not kidding. This was last week.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Don’t think your brother can bring them from Wisconsin anymore. I would start looking around where you live. Might be slim pickings by then.

He’s right you can’t transport live bait across state lines right now.

Leeches getting harder to find, smaller, and more expensive isn’t anything new. Usually by Labor Day it’s like that most places. Better pick up a pack of gulp alive leeches.

blarson

Rainy Lake One Stop has leeches. North Woods Bait & Tackle in Cook sells them by the pound. Might want to call ahead, though.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

Gateway had Jumbo’s @ $9.50 a container yesterday.

Tim Chrouser

I appreciate your guys help on this bloody matter.

Gitchi Gummi

Chalstroms in Duluth just got a big shipment of leeches in. They might reserve some for you if you called ahead. They are a great little local shop here in Duluth. I’m not sure how much you are looking for but their price/LB isn’t always the greatest. I’d also call Fisherman’s Corner in Duluth – they usually have the best price in Duluth when buying by the LB.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.