Serious topic….need advice

• usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

You folks have been great with advice in the past so here it goes.

A friend and mentor of mine died suddenly on June 22 and his family has a lot to deal with. He was a consummate outdoors man with a lot of interests from hunting, trapping, and fishing. I have offered to help go through his stuff with his 15 yr old son and pull out things that his son should keep, and then sell the rest. His 03 Ranger should be easy enough to price out for sale but any pricing advice on boxes of cranks, Lindy gear, soft plastics, numerous couple yr old G loomis rods, and the rest of his in home tackle store? He had a habit of only “buying the best”.

I spent many hrs on the water with him and would also like a few things to remember him by but….I want to avoid any hard feeling from folks or any appearance of “less then fair” on items I would like. Item in point is some hand tied walleye spinners that he made….

Any of you that have had similar experience with this if you can chime in I would be grateful.

Cheers.

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

Let the family be your guide on this. Best advise I can give is, now that you have made the offer to help, sit back and wait. When they are ready, they will let you know.
    I had to sort thru all of my fathers things (not fishing stuff but different). I thought I had prepared myself but every time something went in the trash (even though it belonged there) it felt like losing him all over again.
    Take it slow and I’ll bet you will be pleasantly rewarded, even if your only reward is knowing you helped your friend, one last time.

Brian Hoffies
    Land of 10,000 taxes, potholes & the politically correct.

If you want to help sort the tackle into baggies and give them a price range of what you think they should sell it for on a estate sale. You might also suggest a on-line auction. That way you are able to pay what you want or even over pay if you want to help the family. Advise them of all the low lifes who will try and force quick deals. They should take there time. Now is the time to grieve not the time for major descisions.

fishingdad

I agree with going slow. Everyone has their own way and time for grieving. Also each person has there own memories associated with items that your friend had. When my father passed away my siblings and I each wanted different things because we each had different attachments. In time you could mention that there are a few things you would like to purchase but make sure the family has had the time and chance to pick before you make your preference known. I’m sure as huntindave said you will be appreciated and rewarded for your help.

usafcatm
    Drummond, WI

Good stuff guys, thanks for your thoughts, time, and advice.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.