Searching for a Multimeter

• gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Been searching for the all in one multimeter for awhile now and can’t find the right one.

Needs to be clamp style which measures AC/DC current (100 amp max and down to miliamps), voltage, resistance, capacitance, inrush current, auto-ranging a plus, as well as 9V battery supply preferred.

Any one have a suggestion?

Iowaboy1

fluke,power probe,klein,commercial electric,mertek,several options out there depending on your preferences as far as accuracy.
    I own fluke meters,that way when I cant figure something out,I can say;what the fluke ???

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

For personal use, I think it would be tough to beat the Harbor Freight Ames brand meters like this one. I think that one does everything you’re asking for for $80 and then use the always present 20% off coupon to get it for even less.

Harbor Freight has really upped their game as far power tools go.

Grouse

munchy
    NULL

Everyday use or occasional? Work or home? Budget?

Iowaboy1

thanks Grouse,forgot to mention the price,my last fluke meter set me back eight hundred bucks and that was four years ago.
    and wouldnt you know it,my hand held dual trace oscilloscope that cost over two grand ten years ago took a leave of absence,no updates or repairs available for it now and they run close to four grand now in the same brand I buy,ugh !! I am getting too old for this !!

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Will be for work. Price point matters to an extent, but will pay Fluke pricing if it checks all the boxes.

The Uni-T 210e comes close minus the inrush current. And at a good price.

Grouse…it looks to cover everything, however I’m not sure how accurately it will measure low ac/dc current.

Mike Martine
    Inactive
    la crosse wis

I use fluke meters for work , spendy , but hard to beat them. They have many different ones , you’ll just have to pick the right one for your application .

?????

For what you are asking for I would get a couple of different meters if it was me depending on what you do for work. I am an electrician so we have good quality Fluke multimeters in the clamp style that serve most needs but when you get to very specific things I like to have a good quality Fluke volt Ohm meter non clamp style that is more precise and at my age I still prefer a good old Simpson 202 analogue meter for chasing grounds and some other things. Just like any tool there is not one specific that will do everything really well.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Perhaps I’m not understanding meter specs correctly.

If an auto ranging meter lists 400amp AC current limit, will it measure down to say 10-20 milimap? I understand accuracy will depend on price point.

fishingchallenged

I’m partial to the Fluke 87v. Great meter, but you have to buy the current clamp as an accessory. If that’s an issue for how you use it, they have similar models with the integrated current clamp. I’m not that familiar with them.

fishingchallenged

thanks Grouse,forgot to mention the price,my last fluke meter set me back eight hundred bucks and that was four years ago.
    and wouldnt you know it,my hand held dual trace oscilloscope that cost over two grand ten years ago took a leave of absence,no updates or repairs available for it now and they run close to four grand now in the same brand I buy,ugh !! I am getting too old for this !!

You should give a hard look at Pico Scopes. https://www.picotech.com/products/oscilloscope

I was skeptical having used $20k+ Tek scopes for decades. But we have a few of the 3000 series and for sub $1000 they are impressive. Not your tool for high speed board tests, but general purpose it’s very good.

gixxer01
    Avon, MN

Leaning towards the Klein CL800.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

I 2nd the 87v, all I use at work unless I’m taking amp readings.

Fieldpiece sc 660. Or a fluke 374

Save your money with the Klein, wont last or be accurate. I love their hand tools but their electrical measurement and test tools are garbage.

hooknfinger
    Rochester, Minnesota

Perhaps I’m not understanding meter specs correctly.

If an auto ranging meter lists 400amp AC current limit, will it measure down to say 10-20 milimap? I understand accuracy will depend on price point.

What are you testing at that low range? Flame sensor for furnace?

If your trouble shooting a PLC or 4-20ma circuits fluke 773 is a great tool, expensive but worth it.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.