SD Record Walleye

• Jon Jordan
    Keymaster
    St. Paul, Mn

That’s a good read. Guy catches the state record and expects it will be broken soon. I guess you can say the “good old days” of fishing are happening right now!

Really need to get out there soon.

-J.

Dutchboy
    Central Mn.

I expect there will be a big rush to fish those waters.

ganderpike
    Alexandria

Kind of hidden in there is the fact that all these fish are coming on the same bait, WNC Reaper. Gotta imagine that company pretty much won the lottery with marketing

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Kind of hidden in there is the fact that all these fish are coming on the same bait, WNC Reaper. Gotta imagine that company pretty much won the lottery with marketing

I thought the same thing. Not only the 1 record but both records in the last couple weeks were on the reaper.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Just wait for berkley, strike king, rapala, and all the rest, the knockoffs are coming full steam “custom designed” in China.

Buffalo Fishhead

Just wait for berkley, strike king, rapala, and all the rest, the knockoffs are coming full steam “custom designed” in China.

Just a FYI – the WNC Reaper is a “Made in China” lure.

A friend that has used them told me the hooks on the Reapers he bought are very brittle and break easily. He indicated he was going to change out all the hooks on the Reapers he has in his tackle box.

Buffalo Fishhead

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

Yeah doesn’t surprise me. I had no idea but that would a been my guess.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Another 15 pound 10 oz fish caught. 32 inches long and released. I guess I have another lake to put on my radar.

crawdaddy
    St. Paul MN

I’m just guessing here, probably on the radar of about 10,000 guys right about now. Here comes the pressure!

Ripjiggen

A 231 mile lake that is 370,000 acres should be plenty of room. coffee

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I’m just guessing here, probably on the radar of about 10,000 guys right about now. Here comes the pressure!

Yup, you’ll get that on those big waters. Lots of your favorite Chinese rigs will be being pulled

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I bet there was not shortage of boats out there yesterday. It was almost 60 degrees in Pierre, SD.

isu22andy

Ive fished this system for 4-5 years and came nothing close to any of the fish these size. What they arent telling you is they are fishing extremely deep 30 plus foot . Wonder how many they are killing in the process. I was told fish coming on bandit deeps with over 150 of lead core out . This is some big water with literally no trees around it as well , when the wind comes up I hope your coolers full of beer cause you aint fishing it.

Browndog
    Omaha, NE

Nothing new up there for the big fish this time of year. Every year thousands of people flock to Oahe and Sakakawea in search of a giant. 12-14 lb. fish are very common. In 2021 we caught 31 fish over 28″ in length in two days between two boats.

If northerns trip your trigger you should also look into those up there. 20-30# northerns are pretty common.

If you’re wanting a guided trip I would highly suggest Brent Kemintz. https://www.oahewalleyes.com/index.asp

Pailofperch
    Central Mn North of the smiley water tower

Several retired guys from my area make 2-3 trips a year to Oahe for eyes. They always do pretty well with limits and a few bigger fish. I worked for two weeks in Pierre years ago but only had enough time to drive near the lake or the hydro damn on lunch breaks. Did get to watch a few nice Salmon get pulled from the tail waters below the damn.

hop307
    Northern Todd County

Walleye Nation Creations is just killing it out on Oahe.

Attachments:
    1. 408857481_367132955704504_6717697727909788519_n.jpg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Oh I bet there’s still a significant amount of anglers fishing out there this week too with the unseasonably warm air temps.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Ive fished this system for 4-5 years and came nothing close to any of the fish these size. What they arent telling you is they are fishing extremely deep 30 plus foot . Wonder how many they are killing in the process. I was told fish coming on bandit deeps with over 150 of lead core out . This is some big water with literally no trees around it as well , when the wind comes up I hope your coolers full of beer cause you aint fishing it.

Yeah the 30 ft plus trolling is not my cup of tea. Must be pretty hard on those fish as well

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

Tell me more about these reapers…

Are they comparable in shape/design to a flicker shad or shad rap type bait? Just when I think I have enough cranks to pull on the river, I stumble on something else to add to the boxes and collect dust

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Tell me more about these reapers…

Are they comparable in shape/design to a flicker shad or shad rap type bait? Just when I think I have enough cranks to pull on the river, I stumble on something else to add to the boxes and collect dust

If you type it in on Google they pop right up bud. Price, color, profile. They are deep running shad style bait.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.