Saunas?

• phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

get some eucalyptus oil. that stuff is amazing in a steam sow-nah

CBMN
    North Metro

Not a Sauna person myself but I have a buddy that built a few recently and he purchased a fair number of things from this place near Ashland that is apparently know as being a good resource. Might provide some ideas:

https://superiorsaunas.com/

Joe Jarl
    SW Wright County

Grew up literally across the road from this sauna. Supposedly the oldest and possibly first sauna in the country. And yes, it’s “sow-na”! smash rotflol

Finding Minnesota, Sauna City

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

I used to be an everyday sauna guy at the Y back before covid, and did that for close to 10 years. Man do I love taking a hot sauna (has to have steam – can’t stand the dry heat ones) after a work out or even just to wind down after work. I drink a lot of water and it is such a good feeling to sweat out [what feels like] gallons of water.

I use the steam room at lifetime every time I go, which is about twice a week. They closed it during Covid. That steam really helps clear up my sinuses. I usually sit in it and then go for a swim in the saltwater pool.

I believe the OP is referring to a dry sauna though, not a steam room.

Riviera1

We have a sauna in our house and we use ours a few times a week. This year we built one at our shack. I bought a prebuilt old hickory building 8×12 shed. Then we finished off the inside making the sauna 8×8 and the first 4 feet a little changing room.

mark-bruzek
    Two Harbors, MN

I think it depends how cute the neighbor gals are…. toast devil

Charles

you can find them cheap on marketplace. I am looking at getting one for my house.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

I’d love to have one. Just don’t know where I’d fit it in my current home. I’m really surprised how many who have them say they don’t use them much. That really shocks me. For those who have them but don’t use them much anymore, My question is why ?

It’s a lame excuse…but time.

As much as I enjoy it I have 0 free time with 2 young kids, one main job, and then additional side work. There’s rarely 40 free minutes I can just box out to go sit in a sauna without falling behind on something else. There’s always snow to plow, grass to mow, trees to prune, trees to plant, trails to mow, fence rows to cut, maintenance on everything, miscellaneous field work, etc. That’s all outside of my own jobs and family time. …Notice how my fishing boat isn’t even mentioned anymore!

phishingruven
    tip of the mitten

if you don’t make the time, you can never take the time. 40 minutes won’t add much growth to that fence row or grass. even an extra days growth isn’t that much.

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

It’s a lame excuse…but time.

Seems like that’s the main excuse for not doing most of the fun things in Life. People are just way to busy these days. I sometimes think people are working longer, harder, and more these days than ever before.

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Seems like that’s the main excuse for not doing most of the fun things in Life. People are just way to busy these days. I sometimes think people are working longer, harder, and more these days than ever before.

That and perhaps that he has two young kids is very likely eating up his time too.

Timmy

Lets see if these will post…here are the pics of what I built. Hot room is 8×8 with wood fired heat fed from the inside – complete with glass door on front of stove. The glass door was a suggestion from the mfgr – and after having it, I would HIGHLY recommend that option. It is very therapeutic to sit and sweat in a dimly lit sauna and watch the fire flicker.

Attachments:
    1. EE77E542-2585-4795-A29E-10F010AD5E9B-scaled.jpeg

2. 07191BE6-5558-4FB1-B565-335EC544CA24-scaled.jpeg

3. 5A743F3A-8EEE-4A68-8567-994928F059FC-scaled.jpeg

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Timmy. Do you have any Isle Royale greenstone on that stove?

Timmy

Timmy. Do you have any Isle Royale greenstone on that stove?

Of coarse not!! I would never be able to sleep at night if I did, because that would be against the rulez!!!!

whistling

trophy19
    Maple Grove, MN

Great memories as a kid of being tossed in a snowbank by my uncle after sitting in Pat & Helmi Marttila’s sauna on their farm outside Embarrass. Pat and my uncle would have a few 16 oz cans of Hamm’s, conversed in Finn, and I was as close to the floor as I could get due to the heat.

Many years ago, but still can remember the smell of cedar, birch branches and wood fire..

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.