Should we be concerned?

• thegun
    mn

Last weekend while fishing Rush creek. I came across something I have only seen on larger bodies of water..

there were suckers starting to run and also something else.
    there were several schools

i grabbed this one out of a large school and threw it on the bank for a pic. I’m sure they will love all the trout in the river

Hunting4Walleyes
    MN

You might want to send that photo and your info to your local DNR fisheries office. I’m sure they’ll appreciate the info.

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

It is a Chestnut lamprey and they are spawning too. Use it for bait. It is a native Midwest fish and nothing to be too concerned about. Since native lamprey and other fishes have co-existed for millions of years, they have adapted so there is little damage to overall fish populations. However, in some areas of the country they are considered invasive and are managed. The bad one is the sea lamprey. They are nasty!!

TJ
    Hammond, WI

Im no expert but lamprey ID but based on where it was found, I would guess it’s a chestnut lamprey. MN has 5 native species of lamprey so I guess I have a 1/5 chance. I’m sure others will chime in but if it is a chestnut lamprey, it’s one of the two parasitic species.

thegun
    mn

ok so these have been around.. I guess that is good.. just the first time I had ever seen them in a stream so I just figured it was bad!

mudneck_joe
    SE MN

They say a good lamprey is hard to find!! I have not seen a real lamprey since I was a little kid. Cool Pic For Sure!! Thanks for sharing!

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

That’s some interesting info

I’ve always thought that all lampery’s were invasive

rushcreek

Rush Creek???? Please clarify which rush creek? Are we speaking of the one in SE MN? In the Lewiston and Rushford area?

salmo_trutta
    River Falls,WI

Quote:

That’s some interesting info

I’ve always thought that all lampery’s were invasive

just the sea lamprey. chestnut, silver, american brook – theyre all native lampreys. some are predaceous, some arent. hate to see muskies covered in them on the croix in the spring though.

muskychaser
    Prescott, Wi

Did some collecting for a Ichtheolgy class back in the early 80 s found lots of these little brook lamprey they are not parasitic. Can’t remember the species name. It was the 80s

drew-evans
    rochester MN

back in the late 90’s me and somebodies caught a bunch of little guys like that in the zumbro river near pine island mn there were hundreds of them, we have never seen them since maybe we just havnt been around the water as much there either though…..

thegun
    mn

by rushford, MN

ST_Fanatic

those things have been pretty wide spread since the 07 floods. (from what i have noticed any how) I also believe it is the non parasitic version (american brook lamprey) based on the range and the yellow fins. They breed in late april-june so I wouldn’t doubt more of you will be seeing one soon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.