Sako Super Hammerhead Ammo

• stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Anyone else shoot these?

I took a doe for canning meat on Thanksgiving Day. I used my Axis .30-06, which was sighted in with the 180gr round when nothing else could be found. It shoots them well, but I always wondered about their bonded soft point and what the aftermath would look like.

To my embarrassment, I pulled the shot and put her down, but I had to put a second one in her to close the deal. The second shot, while bed down, hit her shoulder and I was certain I’d lost all the meat in that region. In my previous experience, a 30-06 at close range always blew up a lot of meat.

Didn’t happen this time.

As I skinned her an hour later, I was completely shocked that she had zero shock bruising anywhere on the shoulder(s), even though I split bone. ZERO! I’ve never seen that in my life. I simply trimmed the impact spot, and the rest was good!

Because the rifle shot this factory product well, I bought a few boxes, and now that I see how it performs, I’m feeling pretty good about the purchase.

deertracker

I’ll have to check it out. How was the price?
    DT

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Hard to find… I found mine at Fleet Farm originally for $35/bx. It sold out fast so I bought more online, and only Impactguns.com had it then. I think Gunprime.com has it now, but this stuff is hard to find.

Fleet Farm in Hudson still has it available for .308win, and I have a box of 180gr, but I haven’t shot it yet to see if the Weatherby likes it. $35/bx.

Reef W

Hard to find… I found mine at Fleet Farm originally for $35/bx. It sold out fast so I bought more online, and only Impactguns.com had it then. I think Gunprime.com has it now, but this stuff is hard to find.

That’s funny, I bought it a couple years ago because it was the ONLY thing I could find. I switched to the copper version now, Powerhead Blade I think it’s called, and all I can say is it shoots well at the range. No deer to test on it yet lol

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Exactly, that’s how I initially got my hands on some. The Power Blade stuff is more readily available and more expensive. They don’t offer a choice of grains in that line, at least not from what I’ve seen.

Fleet Farm has their .308win Super Hammerheads on clearance for $23.97/box. If you have a loyalty account, you can drop that down to $21.58/box. 150gr or 180gr, they’re pricing it to move.

Given what I’ve seen from this deer, if your rifle will shoot them well, they just might be the best value available right now.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.