Barramundi

• castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Today I found a really cool paypond just outside of Bangkok. My targt was the Barramundi; a new lifelister. This place has 5 ponds. Four of the ponds has Barramundi and the other one had Giant Snakeheads. This is very unique. I don’t know of any other payponds that have exclusively Snakeheads. After I caught my lifelist Barramundi, I found myself mostly interested in the Snakepit. I will do another post on the Snakeheads I caught.

Normally, the Barramundi is a brackish water species related to the Snook. They remind me of our big Striped Bass. They are very sporty when hooked. They leap and jump and are good at throwing the bait. I was using Rapala F-11 Magnum and Pop-R surface lures.

The first one I caught was a nice sized one for this pond. I never weighed it but I would guess somewhere around 10 pounds.

After getting my fill of Snakeheads, I went back to the Barramundi ponds and caught another giant. This one was bigger; maybe closer to 15 lbs.

I stopped counting but I caught about 10 Barras total. Those first 2 were the biggest and the rest were in the White Bass size.

I was using jigs with a paddletail at first. It worked but then I experimented with some other presentations. I switched to this single-hook spoon lure and they were just throwing themselves at this lure. It is amazing when you figure out a lure that works really well. What is it about that spoon that they like?

85lund
    Menomonie, WI

It looks like they can put up one heck of a fight. Always good to read your post.

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Thanks, For giving reports and photos of fishing over there. I look forward to them and find them very entertaining. Do most people catch and release at these ponds or do they keep them?

Mwal

castandblast
    Eau Claire, WI

Quote:

Do most people catch and release at these ponds or do they keep them?

Mwal

It is mostly catch and release but you can purchase them at 150 Baht (about $5) per Kilo. They are expensive so most people just catch and release. That park cost me 500 Baht (about $15) for fishing for the day. That was a real bargain because other payponds are 2000 Baht (about $60) per day.

average-joe
    Hudson, WI

Those would be a blast to catch

Nice fish

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.