Rod for 150$ or less

• billy03z71

Was looking to maby splurge and buy a nicer ice for walleyes. Have been using cheaper rods for a while that do the job but would like to have something decent to try. Any thoughts? Have had some cheaper 50 to 60$ clam rods that have been just ok. Mostly am looking for one to use with up to 1/8 oz buckshots or similar baits. Thanks!

FinnyDinDin

Walleye sweetheart by Thorne bros is my go to. Get the outside guides with the last guide on the tip being an inside style guide.

Lots of good options out there though and plenty of threads to explore with the search function.

billy03z71

Thanks for the recommendation on the wallye sweetheart, I know how to use the search function and have followed the website for years, just wanted to start a new post since every year there’s new products coming out and potentially more time guys have spent finding out what they do or don’t like with certain setups, thanks

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

The perch sweetheart is way better then the walleye sweetheart for walleye and 1/8 oz spoons. The walleye sweet heart shines for heavier spoons. The perch sweetheart is a excellent walleye rod. But these days I love my jt ice rods. Other then that being said, I would look in to a Elliot, jt or thorne. Many nice rods. 150 is more then I’d spend. I have all custom rods and lots of them are overrated and over priced. Big crappie and tiny rod works have built me a bunch of rods as well for half the cost and out perform my tucr rods.

SconnieFib

If you like a sight indicator rod, the Drench from Frostbite is my favorite rod for that size spoon. It’s a fiberglass rod that loads up a ton and eats up headshakes. I think of all my rods it is the most fun to reel fish in since it handles the weight of the channel cats I fish for, and still really loads up on a 16″ Walleye.

My favorite rod in my fleet for a “feel bite” is my 13 Fishing 32″ Widowmaker Medium power. The medium is my go to for rippin rap style baits, so maybe a ML would be better for spoons, but I cant be 100% sure. For a rod with a reel seat, it is really sensitive for feeling a nibble.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

If Im targeting walleyes, I usually pick up my JT Gold Digger or JT Shiver Stick (Gold Digger is just a bit more heavier rod in case the lake Im on is known for bigger fish).

If Im fishing a lake where there is a good chance at perch or crappies mixed in with most walleyes being under 20in, then I go for the TUCR Fusion

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Full custom. For $150 I will taper a blank to the action you want. Like come to the shop, pick a heavier blank and we will sand and shape it to the action you want. Draw up the handle you want and I will make it. Add some glow to the last three guides so you can see them at night. Also add some fancy butt wrap so everyone knows its custom. Unfortunately I am booked for this year. There are lots of garage builders that can make you a rod better than an off the shelf one for that price. We can match their action. They can’t match my thread work. toast

I need to start taking pictures of things going out the door.

Attachments:
    1. 20210210_092148-scaled.jpg

2. Tiny-Rodworks-rod-glow-tip-scaled.jpg

billy03z71

Those are some fancy looking rods there! Custom is another good idea thanks.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Forgot to add if you are going full custom. Bring the reel you are going to use and a 5’ piece of the fishing line you like with the lure you want tied on it so we can get the action perfect.

Attachments:
    1. 20230420_183550-scaled.jpg

2. 20190628_210834-scaled.jpg

3. TRW-blue-buttwrap.jpg

muskie-tim
    Rush City MN

The Thorne Bros Perch Sweetheart is my go to. Also use a 13 Fishing snitch, works well for jigging. Been happy with both.

billy03z71

Anyone have experience with the frostbite smoke show? I usually go by feel and not rod tip visual for detecting bites. Under 100$ rod is preferred but didn’t want to eliminate options that may just pass that mark a little

billy03z71

Forgot to add if you are going full custom. Bring the reel you are going to use and a 5’ piece of the fishing line you like with the lure you want tied on it so we can get the action perfect.

Sounds like you guys do a really nice job and pay attention to detail, will definitely consider that for next year thanks!

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Rod action plays a big part in the way your lure reacts. I made a jig that can hold 5 rods with the same length, line, reel, and lure. Had my son jump next to it to mimic a light jigging action. Watch the clip on how the different lures react with different tappers of the blank. These are all walleye rods.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

Darn. The pictures loaded so nicely today (thank you IDO) but the clip wont.
    One can work the lure or have the right rod to work it for you.

Link to clip

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Ice show is this weekend and TUCR and JT will be there for sure. Talk with the guys and handle some rods and pick what you like. I have a couple of each builders rods and they are both awesome. They will be 10-20% off retail at the show. I was just at TUCR yesterday and the shop is basically empty as they have all there inventory loaded up and ready to go. Show is in St. Paul if you in the area.

Rodwork
    Farmington, MN

^ Thanks for the reminder John. I forgot about the show this weekend. Yes go to the show and talk to the builders. Bring that line and lure so you can test the jigging action. Use that line to test the rods you have so you have a better idea of the void you are missing.

10klakes

*edited for sounding drunk with my grammar. There are a lot better companies than frostbite at those prices.

ekruger01

If Im targeting walleyes, I usually pick up my JT Gold Digger or JT Shiver Stick (Gold Digger is just a bit more heavier rod in case the lake Im on is known for bigger fish).

If Im fishing a lake where there is a good chance at <em class=”ido-tag-em”>perch or crappies mixed in with most walleyes being under 20in, then I go for the TUCR Fusion

I agree with this. Ive built 100’s of rods, fished almost if not every blank on the market. The shiver stick in its stock form, or custom built off the blank, is hands down my favorite blank for light spoons, and body baits. I think ive built up four of them now, and just picked up a 44″ for hole hopping. Pair it with a QZ750 in the shorter lengths, or a Fuego 1000 in the longer lengths. Way better than the frostbite stuff!

Dan Baker

I agree with John. I you are able to make it the St. Paul Ice show this weekend you have the ability to handle all of the major builders and talk to the people building the rods. This is a great way to make a connection with not only the rods but with the people you choose to do buisness with.

buckybadger
    Upper Midwest

There’s absolutely no way I’d buy a shelf ice rod for $150.

As previously stated, find someone who builds custom rods and you can likely fine-tune what you want and get a cool looking custom stick for cheaper than $150.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

There’s absolutely no way I’d buy a shelf ice rod for $150.

As previously stated, find someone who builds custom rods and you can likely fine-tune what you want and get a cool looking custom stick for cheaper than $150.

Remember, those off the shelf rods are what guys consider ” custom” and if it’s ” custom” it’s worth at least 150. You can even pick your thread color lol

acarroline

JT Shiverstick, TUCR Precision, Frostbite Smokeshow…All rods to consider IMO for the application you’re describing. Additionally, all of these companies have provided great customer service for me in the past and in today’s day and age that means a great deal to me. I am in the process of getting rid of my Elliott and 2B rods for this reason. As others have said, handling each of these is your best bet, if possible.

bigcrappie
    Blaine

For around $150 you can get 2 custom built rods from me. Those larger rod builders charging over $100 for something made in China, NO thanks. Even a $129 rod is way over priced. Invest in a local small rod builder and you will be happy.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

For around $150 you can get 2 custom built rods from me. Those larger rod builders charging over $100 for something made in China, NO thanks. Even a $129 rod is way over priced. Invest in a local small rod builder and you will be happy.

I have been happy with all big crappies rods.

PmB

The Elliot evolution 44l is an awesome rod but I would rather give my money to jt if the 44 shiver stick is comparable. I didn’t know jt made rods at that length

10klakes

Lot of custom builders in the game these days, in addition to Bigcrappie and Tiny rod on here, some other guys worth checking out are: Della bay, Ace custom rods, Kichler custom rods, DH has been around forever, etc.

bigstorm
    Southern WI

Lot of custom builders in the game these days, in addition to Bigcrappie and Tiny rod on here, some other guys worth checking out are: Della bay, Ace custom rods, Kichler custom rods, DH has been around forever, etc.

DH does make great rods also, I have 2 Perch Pounders that I have used for walleyes. They dont see much use anymore – the standard cork handle rod I have I crushed the eyelet on the tip, it still works fine but not for hole hoping on cold days, that top eyelet freezes solid quick. The other Perch Pounder I have from them, I gambled and tried the 3.5in cork handle as I normally hold the rod with the pistol grip, but Im just not a fan of the shorter handle for some reason

billy03z71

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like i will be looking for a medium light and will definitely do a little more digging into all the options listed above. Would like to hit that sweet spot of 50 to 100$ and maby someday get one of the acaully custom custom rods once I get more familiar with what kind of actions and lengths I like. Thanks!

Deuces

Only reason I’d go custom if there’s not a shelf rod that doesn’t fit my presentation needs I’m trying to fill in my arsenal.

Best ice sticks I know use fleet farm specials.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks for all the replies guys. Sounds like i will be looking for a medium light and will definitely do a little more digging into all the options listed above. Would like to hit that sweet spot of 50 to 100$ and maby someday get one of the acaully custom custom rods once I get more familiar with what kind of actions and lengths I like. Thanks!

There are many off the shelf rods great in that price range. There really is no need for 150 dollar ice rods, I have many cheap rods and many 100 dollar rods. All have a place in time. But honestly my cheaper rods 50 to 60 bucks work and feel as great or better then some of my spendy rods. Lot of the fishing world is guys with money and guys keeping up with the jonses

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.