Zumbro Report

• pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

5-15 and 5-17. Got about 30 sunnies each day, all coming on crawlers and hook. Right next to rock ledges. On the 17th I got 2 smallmouths and a carp, which fought pretty good on a ultra light pole woth 4 lb test. But no crappies, we just can’t find them. Any tips?
    Later Hollywood2

mikem
    SE Minnesota

I haven’t been there yet this year.On others years like this one with warm/cold back and forth I’ve found them suspended as deep as 18ft over 24ft.

mrcrappie
    mn Dodge co.

Was there 5-16 & it was cold. Got into some crappies over deep water (24ft), Nothing to brag about for size,Got off the water early, As my daughter was with & she was Cold, Fished a small hair jig, tipped with a minnow, Fish slow as possable. Good Fishin, DOUG

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Quote:

Any tips?

First of all, if ya want crappies lose the crawlers .

We stay very mobile when fishing for the crappies out there (almost like we’re bass fishing ). Pick a shore line and work down it slowly with the trolling motor casting LIGHT jigs (1/32 or less) with plastics or minnows. Pitch the jigs right up TIGHT to shore and let them slowly fall. The crappies will usually hang around wood, but not always…..some docks and rock structures will also hold them. Just keep moving and casting. Once you connect with a fish, stop and work the area (structure) over well.

We usually catch a few, then keep on moving, and return later to hit it again and pull out a few more. Once you find a few areas holding fish, you can keep rotating between them.

Every once in a while you find a large school that’s really bangin that you can just anchor up and sit on. But don’t drop that anchor out unless your really catchin fish.

Hope this helps

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Hey Jake,
    Thanks for the info. We tried minnows but got to anxious and put on some crawlers for some sunnies. We did the same and worked the shore up and down with the trolling motor. I am hoping with the warmth this weekend that they will move shallow. But thanks for the tips, I’ll keep trying and hope to see you out there
    Later Hollywood2

Jake
    Muddy Corn Field

Hey Hollywood,

Just make sure your using the lightest jig possible (1/64oz is my go to), and getting the bait right up into the wood. If you’re not getting snagged on overhanging trees and shoreling branches on a regular basis, you’re not trying hard enough to get it in TIGHT .

REPORT:

We were out again this afternoon (love this summer break stuff ). Fishing was quite a bit better than Tuesday, but still not smoke’n like it was the week before the cold snap.

We caught crappies off almost every log jam we fished. No large schools though, only 2-4 off each . Plastics and minnows seemed to produce equally well.

There were a good number of people out tonight (including the local CO)…….and just a FYI, Ryan’s Bay is NOT the only place you can catch crappies on this lake (man that place gets ).

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Hey Jake,
    I know what you mean. So many boats so few fish in that bay.
    Later
    Hollywood

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.