Muskies On the Zumbro

• pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Hey Guys,
    Has anyone been catching these monsters on the zumbro. I am looking to go out and was wondering if anyone has ever snagged one of these hogs. If so could you drop some hints on places to target and what to throw, and what time. My pops and I were panfishing in the ponderosa campground bay and my pops hooked a good sized sunfish close to shore. When he was pulling it in the monster hit. Holly cow, good thing he was fishing with a heavier rod. It wouldn’t let go, It kept pulling line and pulling around the boat. I had the net ready and once he saw the boat he let go.(Along with half the sunfish) Every since then I wanted to hit one of these monsters on purpose. So any tips on where to go and what to throw would be awsome
    Thanks
    Hollywood2

markmoran
    Rochester MN

I would go back to the spot that the aggressive musky hit the sunfish, just a hunch, but seems he might bite again

tony m
    byron mn.

hollywood, there is a new bait called the infuriater, by novak lures. its a glider sunfish shaped, you will find them on ebay. take a look!! suicks are a good bet too.
    good luck.

gary_wellman
    South Metro

When it comes to metro muskies and even French lake/ Lake Zumbro muskies……..I know more guys who have caught muskies while panfishing, than I do while actually targeting the muskies themselves.

These specific muskie’s primary food source is panfish. Then, you throw in some action of a couple of people working a school of panfish……..Well, you can’t make a better “dinner bell” for the muskies to come check it out!!!

Think about it. You are pulling one fish after another, out of a specific spot. All that underwater commotion calls in the predator fish.

Ever fish for Sunnies on Zumbro…..Catch about 10 fish, then it just suddenly stops bitting??? The fish have left because a muskie came in (or even a pike) and chased them away.

If you want to catch a muskie really fast……..Go out there and panfish. If the bite is good, catch about 10 sunnies and start throwing muskie cranks. With the crank, start twitching on your retrieve. Not need to burn the lures hard here. Jerks and gliders will work great too!!!

There, you have the best “tip of the day” secret to catching local muskies really fast!!!!

Pikester

Good piece of advise there!

pgoetsch337
    Mazeppa, Minnesota

Thanks
    Guys
    Hollywood2

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.