6/20 ,Lake Zum

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

Ma cut me loose for a couple hours this morning so I hit the lake early. I got the line in the water right around 6 and was back on terra firma by 8. I guess i could have stretched another half hour out of it but the weather seemed to have a different idea. I stayed dry but there were a couple boats that probably got hosed pretty good.

I didn’t have any trouble finding my quarry fish, crappies. Nor did I have any problem finding sunnies or bass. The sunfish and bass took to the shallow water edges this morning and every crappie I got came from deeper water but near the surface, maybe 18-20″ under the float. The bass and sunfish hit deeper than the crappies for that matter.

The water temp was fairly constant at 69-70 degrees, but the hen crappies are still fat with spawn and the couple I cleaned for dinner tonight still had huge agg skeins that were not runny. What a screwed up year for the fish.

Plastic color was an issue as far as the bite went today. The best bite came off a raspberry head….kind of an electric pink color…. and a bluegill/chartreuse-tailed paddletail or minnow bait in the same color scheme.

The clouds got ugly at about 7:45 so I made for the landing and was just leaving the lot when the rains came. Half way back to home the rain quit but then another dose came along just as I was wrapping up the filleting operation for our dinner tonight. Given all the rain we’ve seen all spring I hate to say this, but we do need a shot for the lawns and gardens. Since that’s what we’ve gotten, it can quit now.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.