The Zum this morning

• Tom Sawvell
    Inactive

I was out this morning and its a mess. Water color is poor with maybe 1/2″ of visibility and all the nice temps are gone. Lots of crap in the water as well. Rattlesnake had quite a few big pieces of wood floating down towards the lower lake. The vertical rise of the lake appears to be in the 2 foot range but quite likely higher than that.

Small white bass kept things hopping in a couple areas but the crappies are scattered all along the deep water areas. They aren’t super deep but they are scattered and sunken wood was futile. The crappies maxxed out at around 6 inches and the white bass were big at 5 inches tops. I marked larger suspended fish at around 6 feet deep off sunken wood by about 15 feet but had no takers. Pretty certain they were crappies. There was no such thing as a fish in the sunken wood.

The bouys are not out, but the no wake signs are down. Its probably a good thing that speed isn’t an option. I hit a deadhead as I worked my way towards Rattlesnake from Fishermans and had no idea it was even there until the clunk and then half a tree rolled up.

The river is running a bit high behind me so the lake will stay high from a couple more days anyway. The snow and run-off really shot a good thing in the butt. I couldn’t even find a smallie to tease into hitting. That’s bad.

There are a lot of Comorants on the water there…sure like to see them mosey along.

shockers
    Rochester

Good report! And not too surprising I guess. I was on the River on Sunday and it’s way high, muddy and full of debris here and there. And, well, very slow fishing for me at least. Bummer cuz it’s finally nice and the water ain’t cooperating yet. I may go stand in a trout stream, but I assume those are just as high etc., too. Argh.

Anyone been on Chesterwood recently? I wanna break in a new canoe my son got, so looking for small, easy water for him to try it on.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.