Rigging MX1825

• gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Switched to Lowrance graphs this spring and need to mount the new AI 3 in 1 ducer. When they initially mounted the HB HDSI ducer, they installed it below the retractable step. So, installing the new ducer in the old spot won’t work as the step will hit the longer ducer. Also, never been impressed with the performance of the glassed in HB 2D ducer.

My question is for those running the longer Lowrance ducers for 2D while on plane. The boat has a glassed in lowrance 2d ducer, but not sure if it would perform better than the disappointing HB ducer.

Currently thinking of mounting the 3 in 1 between the 1st and 2nd strake on the driver’s side at waterline when on plane. Good idea? Don’t do it? Move it one way or the other? Run the glassed in ducer? Fully aware that it could get hit, but I want optimal 2D when on plane and at rest, but the glassed in ducer lost bottom and had to have sensitivity cranked to function decently.

Ducer board is on order.

socoeyechaser
    Participant
    Colorado

Check your PMs. I might be able to help you with all your questions.

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

Regardless of the brand, the glassed in ducer will disappoint. It’s essentially throwing a wet towel over the ducer. I mounted a ducer board on the back of my boat and added the humminbird 2D for high speed and more reliable readings- now works like a charm and get great readings all the time.

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Regardless of the brand, the glassed in ducer will disappoint. It’s essentially throwing a wet towel over the ducer. I mounted a ducer board on the back of my boat and added the humminbird 2D for high speed and more reliable readings- now works like a charm and get great readings all the time.

That was my feeling as well. Didnt want to spend the money on a Y cable to find out. Still not sure if the 3 in 1 2D will perform as well as the High speed ducer.

gixxer01
    Participant
    Avon, MN

Thinking of putting it here.

Attachments:
    1. 20190325_171021.jpg

docfrigo
    Participant
    Wisconsin

After Y cabling, all my issues went away and 2D is great- regardless of bottom type, junk in water or speed. Also, it allowed my MEGA ducer to be up and out of the way. By adding a board makes it much easier changing ducer location or changing out ducers period without the painful experience of drilling into the back of a fiberglass boat.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.