Replacing Braid on Jigging Rods?

• bigstorm
    Southern WI

How often do people replace the braided line on jigging rods? I replace the 3lb mono on my panfish rods and the 6lb or 8lb mono leader on my tips and jig rods every season, but can honestly say I havent changed the braid in…. ever. The oldest braid on a jigging rod is probably 8yrs old, 8lb braid. I do the old strength test by pulling on each end of an 18in section of the braid and call it good.

Ripjiggen

I’m the same way as you.

PmB

Just reel it backwards onto another reel exposing the fresh line that’s never been used

Gerty

PmB – That is what I do also.

slipperybob
    Lil'Can, MN

Those braid fibers probably have over 20 yrs shelf life.

CBMN
    North Metro

I have braid rods that I use on lakes in the summer and I get at least 4 or 5 years out of by doing what PmB explains. Then my river beater rods that I fish around a lot of rocks and timber and loose a lot of jigs I maybe get 2 or 3 years out of even with flipping the braid as I just go thru line a lot faster due to loosing jigs and retying a lot more.

mnfisherman18

I am similar to others here, I give it 3-4 years, then reel it backwards onto another reel and get another 3-4 years out of it.

whytie
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan

I pull off 40ft of line and cut it. I don’t fish deeper then 30ft so the extra 10ft of cut off is any possible ice build up that may have frayed the line. I run a mono backing on my reels to prevent line slipping on the spools a 150yds of braid goes a long ways on my ice reels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.