Recommendation for a Women’s Beginner Bow

• boone
    Woodbury, MN

I’ve been trying to think of something to get my daughter for Christmas and the thought a compound bow comes to mind. It would be strictly for target practice and not hunting. I’m looking for recommendations. Is it possible to get a decent quality bow package, either new or used, in the $300 range? I just don’t know if she’d have the time to shoot enough to justify an expensive, high-end bow at this time. But I want to get her something good enough to have fun shooting and be fairly accurate. She’s about 5’4″. Are there any archery shops in the Twin Cities metro that might have something that would work for her? I think I would need to have a pro shop set it up correctly for her. I don’t know anything about how to do that so I’m reluctant to buy a bow package on-line. I’d like the bow to have a decent pin sight with a peep hole and decent release. Thanks.

Bill Sackenreuter
    Devils Lake ND

Bear archery makes a couple of bow packages in that price range,that are Great for starter bows.The Genisis bows are also good starters,and the bows used in the NSAP programs
    My personal expirience teaching archery,I believe the faster you can get kids consistently hitting the target,they are more apt to stay with archery.This can be done by using a peep sight/pin combo right away vs shooting instictivley.
    Definetley a good idea to go to an archery shop.Draw length,wieght,peep hieght and proper form and tune can be done there.

Musky Ed

Too bad she’s not a little taller. Wife and I no longer shoot target archery and she mentioned we should sell her bow and sight. Haven’t gotten around to taking pictures yet, but it was a $600 bow with a Sureloc micro sight, micro rest, and scope for the sight. About a $1000 plus for all and would sell around the $300 range. 30#-40# draw and her draw was 29″, would have to look at the range of the wheel.
    Would be a fantastic bow for the price.
    I would agree with Bill, get a sight on the bow, and double check eye dominance before buying bow!
    We also used to coach archery, and you couldn’t believe how many parents bought the wrong first bows because of assuming if their child was right or left handed, that must be the right bow for them.
    Then there is the biggest thing of all, do not, do not, get too strong of a bow for a child because you can get a deal on it.
    Mathews Genisis bows are great first time bows fir beginners, plus can easily be sold when you decide to upgrade.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

I just bought my daughter the Mission radik by mathews. 400 bucks perfect package for a young person and will grow with them all the way to a lady adult. Draw weight from 10 pounds to 50 and length between 17 and 30 inch.
    Has the best resale value I have found on the market and seems to be the best bang for the buck.
    I looked at many youth woman’s bows.

boone
    Woodbury, MN

Thanks for the information guys. My daughter is 18 year old so she’s done growing. She told me she’s 5’5″. I’d say she’s got average strength for her height and age. Maybe Musky Ed’s bow would be a good option for her. After searching on-line, it seems like Diamond bows by Bowtech has a line of entry bows in the $350-450 range for a basic package. Thanks again for everyone’s advice.

Musky Ed

I’ll look at my wifes bow tomorrow to see the draw range. The sight, scope and rest would be about 5 to 600 new alone. Its a good deal for someone if it fits, if not, its not.

Bearcat89
    North branch, mn

Thanks for the information guys. My daughter is 18 year old so she’s done growing. She told me she’s 5’5″. I’d say she’s got average strength for her height and age. Maybe Musky Ed’s bow would be a good option for her. After searching on-line, it seems like Diamond bows by Bowtech has a line of entry bows in the $350-450 range for a basic package. Thanks again for everyone’s advice.

That mission radik is a perfect bow for her then. 400 bucks. A little nicer then that diamond for the same cost.
    Your daught will never shoot more then 50 pounds and the draw is way less then 28 inch. I highly suggest looking at one. Compare it to that diamond at the bow shop.

BigWerm
    SW Metro

I’d visit an archery shop and have them take her through the paces. Bwana in Little Canada is a good spot on that side of the cities. They usually have a few used options from trade ins available too, so you should be able to find something that fits her and your budget.

Musky Ed

Took a look at my wifes bow. It’s a Hoyt Vantage X7, 30-40#,
    27″-29.5″ draw, 41″ axle. Sure-loc micro adjust sight with a 4x scope, and micro adjust target rest.
    I probably am going to try and sell as a pkg first, bow as stated,case, quiver, x7 arrows, and Carter target release. If it doesnt go that way will break it up to sell then. It’s a fantastic bow in new cond, and if I remember right, actually tops out about 42 lbs.
    Forgot, easton target stabilizer also.

Attachments:
    1. 20231211_152332.jpg

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.