Rattle Reel Setup – Knots

• Bradlee Karan

Can’t believe this hasn’t been covered here but I can’t find the info I’m looking for so I will ask.

Setting up new wheelhouse and going with fly line on reels. Wondering what knots to use on these and if people are using backing?

Rattle Wheel type rattle reels so lots of space for line. Using Clam coated fly line. Plan on fishing Red and LOW but mostly local lakes in Northern Metro so not sure how much backing to put on reels

I was thinking Dacron backing, fly line, swivel, leader. I use nail knot on my fly rods to attach backing to fly line but I don’t use swivel when fly fishing and thinking the Palomar knot is kind of big for a small swivel. I guess I could go bigger on swivel than I do for tip ups but as rule I like to go as small as possible.

Also, I use 2 way swivel on tip ups instead of snap swivel but not sure why, smaller I guess. Anyone have a preference one way or the other?

Thanks in advance for input.

deertracker

I’m sure there will be a better answer but This is what I did. I did not use backing. I would use a Palomar knot from the fly line to a swivel and then a leader from the swivel to the hook.
    DT

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

I go straight fly line to swivel then fluorocarbon on the leader and all knots are uni knot. Has worked well for me, I don’t see the sense in a backer unless you plan on fishing 40ft or more down.

3rdtryguy
    Central Mn

I go straight fly line to swivel then fluorocarbon on the leader and all knots are uni knot. Has worked well for me, I don’t see the sense in a backer unless you plan on fishing 40ft or more down.

. Or catching a decent northern, on purpose or accident. I would use a cheap Dacron backer.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

I think I took a 50 yard spool of braided tip-up line and split it between four different rattle reels for backing, so 35-ish feet of backing per reel. My reels go backing -> loop knots -> fly line -> swivel -> 8 lb. flourocarbon -> jig of your choice. My flouro leaders are usually around 6-8 ft.

Edit to add that I’ve hauled some pretty big fish up on those rattle reels and never gotten into the backing. Probably not necessary, but it gives me peace of mind.

Bradlee Karan

Great info. I love how I have finally found a website with active members.

Waldo9190, thinking the same thing with the backing but why the loop knots on the backing? I have used those on front of fly line for fast tippet change.

I like the idea of the Uni knot, will try that on the swivels.

waldo9190
    Cloquet, MN

Great info. I love how I have finally found a website with active members.

Waldo9190, thinking the same thing with the backing but why the loop knots on the backing? I have used those on front of fly line for fast tippet change.

I like the idea of the Uni knot, will try that on the swivels.

A) Tying braid to fly line wasn’t fun and B) the likelihood of ever worrying about it are pretty slim in my experiences. Pretty sure I just used a surgeon’s loop on both.

Baitwaster
    South metro

Fly line to a snap swivel. Surgeons knot on end of different weight leaders, depending what the reels are down for.

10 seconds to switch presentations

mwal
    Rosemount,MN

Reel, cheap dacron Alberto knot to fly line. Then Alberto knot to other end of fly line to short piece of 15 lb mono then swivel. Then you have strong connection to swivel. Use loop knot on leader of your choice.

Bradlee Karan

Thanks everyone for the input. Some great ideas. I ended up with an Arbor knot for backing to reel => Albright knot for backing to fly line (Alberto wouldn’t slide very well for nice knot) => Uni knot to snap swivel => then leaders with surgeon knot for loop and Palomar to the hook.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.