Rainy Lake Resort Suggestions

• jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

My boss and a couple of co-workers would like to fish the Minnesota side of Rainy lake in June. As I have never done fished Rainy I know very little about it. Are there any recommended lodges or resorts to stay at or stay away from? How is the fishing in June and what is the general method of catching walleyes during this time? Anything we should be aware of?

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Jerrj01 walleye fishing the Minnesota side of Rainy Lake in June is Good Fishing! Resorts I would recommend staying at are Thunderbird Lodge, Sha Sha Resort, and Island View Lodge. All 3 resorts are great places and each one offers something a little different. Rainy Lake Houseboats is another option, and are an absolute blast! Check out the web pages of each resort, or Rainy Lake Houseboats, and give them a call. You should be able to find which accommodation best suits your group. As far as fishing goes you can fish walleyes shallow in the bays usually 4 to 10ft using eighth ounce jigs pitching them towards shore, points or cabbage beds, spinners work well also with minnows and crawlers. Casting jerk baits, and trolling raps is also very effective at times. Lots of walleyes on break lines just outside of bays also, and current areas hold lots of walleyes then too. A jig and minnow, or plastics is usually good! Try to book as soon as you can because June fills up fast.

jerrj01
    Hudson, WI

Thanks Ryan. Are you a guide, resort owner, or just fish a lot on Rainy?

Wayne Daul
    Green Bay, Wi

Before booking check on high water conditions and how they are affecting the resort operations. Some have there bathrooms closed. I just came back from Thunderbird and they are still open but like others have some problems. Gas pump almost totally under water (still working) most docks are 3′ under water so limited dock space. You will need a truck to launch boat, or they will launch for you. Lower bathrooms are closed. Bar and food service still open. They are pumping water out 24 hours a day. Some other resorts are having more problems with high water. Good news is fishing is still good. From what I hear it will be end of July before they expect water to be back close to normal. For the last two years with late spring early June was difficult for some fisherman, in a normal year it would be very good. I changed to July when reef fishing is easier and more consistant.

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Jerrj01 I’m a full time guide on Rainy Lake. Both June and July are good times to fish Rainy. Hopefully we won’t have this high water problem again, and this is the 2nd highest it’s been on record, and the highest since 1950. It’s caused lots of damage to lots of people, but were getting through it, and the lake has crested and is starting to recede. Hopefully be back to normal shortly. The fishing remains good. Since I haven’t been able to post pics on this new site yet until the kinks get worked out. If you’d like to check out some recent pics of the fish were catching go to bcoaonline.com and click the face book link on the home page. I’ve updated pics every 3 to 4 days since late May. You’ll love Rainy it’s an awesome fishery, and the scenery is 2nd to none!

Mr. Pike 81
    NW Iowa

Ryan-
    We have a weeklong fishing trip planned for the 25th of this month on the Canadian side of Rainy. As of last week, the government dock on Northwest Bay where we put our boats in was under water and not usable. How fast do you think the water will go down.

Ryan Schmidt
    Rainy Lake

Hard to say Mr.Pike. Depends on how much rain we receive. The lake has dropped over 2 Inches in the last three days, and that’s been with receiving some rain fall. Hopefully it’ll start dropping an inch a day.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.