Quick SD trip

• Michael Best

After a disappointing November sitting in a tree. I figured I would take a quick trip to SD to try my luck calling coyotes.
    2nd set of the morning and 5 minutes in this male showed up.
    After 3 blank stands I called in another but a swing and a miss on that one.
    The deer were sure moving today as well. Seen a dozen good bucks throughout the day. Both Mulies and whitetails.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3859-scaled.jpeg

MX1825

That’s a nice yote MB. Congrats!

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

That is a real good looking yote. Do you tan the hides? I have heard they really arent worth much now that canada gooses uses a fake fur for their coats.

haleysgold
    SE MN

That is a real good looking yote. Do you tan the hides? I have heard they really arent worth much now that canada gooses uses a fake fur for their coats.

Canada gooses?

Michael Best

Thanks guys.

Carter, I used to sell them on the carcus. The fur buyer I used to use went out of business. The best I got was $20 a coyote for west river coyotes. Now days I just shoot them for predator management.
    If I wouldn’t have missed the one yesterday I might have gotten that one mounted if I hadn’t missed. It was a big coyote.

Youbetcha
    Anoka County

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Carter Johnson wrote:</div>

Canada gooses?

jester meant goose

Michael Best

Made another quick trip to SD this weekend.
    Had a great morning calling yesterday. Called in 5 and end up getting a couple of the 5.
    I think the fog helped the calling throughout the morning. Could only see 300 yards roughly. It made slipping into spots a lot easier.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3884-scaled.jpeg

2. IMG_3881-scaled.jpeg

gimruis
    Plymouth, MN

Those are some nice doggies. What caliber do you use to hunt them?

isu22andy

How many did you pile up on the trip ? I’ve always thought about going for a coyote hunting tour of the west !

hillhiker
    SE MN

Well done Michael! After seeing more coyotes than deer a couple days while hunting SD this year I was thinking a trip out there to shoot dogs would be a good idea as well.

Michael Best

Only got the 2 this trip out of 9 stands total.
    Made a couple sits this morning before heading for home. Had one hang up and warning howled me for 20 minutes. Must have seen me is all I can think of.
    Lots of good rounds for coyotes. I think the 22-250 is the best. Both coyotes I got this trip were in shotgun range when they were dumped.

Michael Best

Made another quick trip to SD this past week. Headed west on Wednesday morning. Timing was perfect as far as roads go. Never hit any ice on roads but they were all wet.

Got there just in time to make one stand Wednesday night. Didn’t see any coyotes on stand but they were howling back to me.
    Went in the next morning and made a stand on the opposite end of the 2 mile section. After 10 minutes this male showed up and got a dirt nap at 100 yards.

Ended up calling in 4 coyotes that day. Unfortunately I only was able to get the one. The Christmas weather had a serious impact on the trip. 95% of the stand I make are about 15 to 20 miles south of the town I stay out there. Well at about the 15 mile mark there was an ice line. Everything north of that line was fine. Everything south was coated in ice. It would have been a pain to deal with.

I really need another person to go with. I would say half of 13 coyotes I have called in this year were at an angle I couldn’t get on them without getting busted.

Only made a couple stands on Friday and left early. Between the wind gust to 30 and being really limited on where to call I headed for home early.

On a side note. On Wednesday when I crossed over Oahe in mobridge it was wide open. On Friday when I came back it was ice covered.

Not sure I will make it out in January but come February it will be breeding season so I will try and make a longer trip that go round.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_3905-scaled.jpeg

stillakid2
    Roberts, WI

Wish I had the time… I have the gear, the guns, the ammo, just need the license. Shoot me a pm… maybe I can make something happen!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.