Question for you River Guys

• Bass-n-Eyes
    Maplewood & Crane Lake, MN

I looked this morning on the Corps of Engineer site for L&D #3 and the outflow was 29,205 cfs. Looked now and it is 22,746. I assume this means they are messing with the dam? Also is there a good site that has a graph for the outflow over several days/weeks? I’ve looked at the NOAA site and they have a water level graph but I don’t see a outflow graph. Thanks

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

The Corp told me about 2 years ago they still have the info and it’s ready for public viewing. Just there isn’t any funds to make it public.

I haven’t found anything to replace Rivergauges.com either.

To obtain historical flows, temps, and levels an email needs to be sent to the COE’s. They will reply with the information your looking for. IF they get enough phone calls…maybe they will find the money to make it public again. I’ve posted that email address someplace…just can’t seem to find it now.

Bass-n-Eyes

Flow is perfect. I suggest you go.

I will, probably Monday. I was just curious why it dropped 7,000 cfs in the matter of a couple of hours. If anyone is out Monday and sees a grey & red Ranger stop and say hi.

Bass-n-Eyes

The Corp told me about 2 years ago they still have the info and it’s ready for public viewing. Just there isn’t any funds to make it public.

I haven’t found anything to replace Rivergauges.com either.

To obtain historical flows, temps, and levels an email needs to be sent to the COE’s. They will reply with the information your looking for. IF they get enough phone calls…maybe they will find the money to make it public again. I’ve posted that email address someplace…just can’t seem to find it now.

Thanks BK. I started a spreadsheet so I will just track it myself. It will be interesting to see how it changes over the spring.

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

This website will have what you want, but is map based so unfortunately hard links to specific output doesn’t seem to be possible.
    http://water.usace.army.mil/a2w/f?p=100:1:0:#

From the splash page with the picture of the dam click Map in the top right. From there click on the dots through several levels until you have selected the gauge you want. As you click on smaller areas a complete list of available gauges will appear on the right side of the screen. For LD3 when you get to that level on the map it will display 2 options Lock and Dam 03 Tailwater and Mississippi R Lock and Dam 03. You want to select Mississippi River Lock and Dam 03.

That selection will show you a graphic of the dam with current info on it. To get your time series select Time Series from the top tabs (near the middle), choose up to two outputs elevation and outflow are default and the timeframe (5 days is default, but can go back to around October of 2018 if I remember correctly). Longer timeframes will take awhile to “think” and if the computer doesn’t seem to be doing anything try changing a parameter to force it to recalculate.

If you are a data nerd and want to store the data itself of look at it in tabular format in Excel etc the little disk icon next to the camera icon in the upper right corner (see attached image) lets you download the data for the displayed period.

This is all clunkier than the old system, but is a bit more polished and has some advantages.

You can also go to this site to download a full data history for LD3 info, but you have to make the visualizations yourself.

https://www.mvp-wc.usace.army.mil/data/LockDam_03.Data.shtml

Hope this is helpful.

Nick

Attachments:
    1. 5-month-flow-history-LD3.jpg

Bass-n-Eyes

Thanks Nick, that was exactly what I was looking for. I already had that page bookmarked, just didn’t notice the time series tab.

MN DNR Fisheries – Lake City
    Lake CIty, MN

No problem Joe, I struggled with getting the daily info for LD3 and Lake Pepin to put in my annual reports for a few years when they closed their websites until this one came back online.

Generally seems to be better now.

Good luck fishing.

Nick

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.