Question for all the gun guys here

• wkw

I’m kind of a lever action fan, and I was looking at a Henry 22 Magnum
    w/a scope. Any thoughts on this rifle? What scope would you put on it ? Or do you have a better idea ? Will be used for small game etc.

reddog

Find a Marlin 57m Levermatic. Top it with a 4x scope, or a 3×9 and your set. Nothing against the Henry, but I just can’t not recommend the Levermatic!

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Thoughts on the Henry? My only thought is .22 mag ammo is too expensive for what it is. I may be out of touch on this, but last time I checked, 22 mag was 13-18 cents a round. That makes for an expensive plinking rifle, no not the end of the world, but basically $2 out the barrel every time you empty the mag. I just feel that for rimfire, it should be cheaper.

While I’d love to be that minimalist guy who can just top a rimfire with a 4x and leave it alone, well, I’m not that guy. I’d go with a quality 3×9.

Grouse

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

If you want a reliable 22 cal with a scope, it is not a lever, but my ruger 10-22 with a scope and it is awesome.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

If you want a reliable 22 cal with a scope, it is not a lever, but my ruger 10-22 with a scope and it is awesome.

You’ll never convince a lever-action fan to change to an auto. And going from a sweet, thin, good looking Henry to a 10-22….

I may be alone in this, but I just think the 10-22 is thick and ugly and they shoulder like a 2×4 stud. I hate loading the rotary magazines.

I have read that the box stock accuracy of the 10-22 has improved somewhat over the years, which is a good thing because the one and only one I had was a total POS. Minute of softball at 50 on a good day with a fair wind.

Now of course the defenders of the 10-22 will always point out that if you get aftermarket replacements for the trigger, the barrel, the action, and the stock, they can be hyper-accurate rifles and somewhat marginally better looking as well. With that, I can totally agree.

Yours truely,
    Not a 10-22 Fan

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

My only thought is .22 mag ammo is too expensive for what it is. I may be out of touch on this, but last time I checked, 22 mag was 13-18 cents a round. That makes for an expensive plinking rifle, no not the end of the world, but basically $2 out the barrel every time you empty the mag.

Will be used for small game etc.

The gun in question hold 11 rounds but if he is using it for the stated purpose, I can’t imagine shooting more than one or two rounds at any one animal.

roadhunter

Choose your ammo carefully. You will always find someone who will sell you .22 ammo but there could be a shortage of 22 Mag or any other specialty caliber. You buy a gun to shoot it. A gun without ammo is like a pack of smokes without a lighter!

David Blais

I have a Henry 22 Lr. I love it. It’s just the standard one, not the golden boy. I also have a golden bow .17, also love. My next guy will be a Henry 22 mag

fishthumper
    Sartell, MN.

I may be alone in this, but I just think the 10-22 is thick and ugly and they shoulder like a 2×4 stud. I hate loading the rotary magazines.

Not a 10-22 Fan

You are not alone. I am also not a fan of the 10-22. I owned one for many years and really wanted to learn to like it. It just never happened and I ended up selling it to someone who was told they are the Best. He sold it after a few years as well.

I myself have never owned a Henry but I have a few friends who do and they Love them.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

The gun in question hold 11 rounds but if he is using it for the stated purpose, I can’t imagine shooting more than one or two rounds at any one animal.

I cannot imagine buying a nice rifle like the Henry and then using it to only shoot a few squirrels and rabbits every year. But I suppose there are some out there who would…

It’s considered rifle abuse though. Think how lonely they get.

Grouse

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Ok grouse we all have our opinion but I never heard anyone saying the 10-22 was not accurate. I used mine for squirrel hunting and only took head shots at up to 70 yards so mine works great. Never really did a lot of target with it. We can agree it is not going to win any beauty contests though! toast

Huntindave
    Shell Rock Iowa

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Huntindave wrote:</div>

I cannot imagine buying a nice rifle like the Henry and then using it to only shoot a few squirrels and rabbits every year. But I suppose there are some out there who would…

It’s considered rifle abuse though. Think how lonely they get.

Grouse

I’d rather spend that range time in the woods. Different strokes for different folks. grin

jbg1219
    NW Iowa

I will second Grouse’s statements on the 10-22 I have several friends with them, and I have owned 3 different ones. All 3 of them were what I considered to be junk. Their new owners all like them however. The gun just does not fit me. I finally got over the needing a semi auto 22 rifle and now have a CZ bolt action, and a marlin lever gun. Like them both equally. I found the 597 remmington was a better fit for me to shoot, but the 2 of those I owned were both about as good as a bolt action. It was rare I could empty a mag without some assistance. My ruger 22 mark III and mark IV, however, are going nowhere!

wkw

Thanks for all your replies. Mr Grouse, I get to Wyoming a lot on biz, and I think the 22 mag would be fun to use on the prairie dogs.
    Besides that, I’m a cowboy, and cowboys shoot lever actions. LOL

Ahren Wagner
    Northern ND-MN

Levers are a blast to shoot. Wish they were more common with longer barrels though since those short barrels really hurt the accurracy.

robby
    Quad Cities

I had a Henry .22 lr lever gun. Functioned well, never a hickup. That said I did not keep it very long. Accuracy was fair at best. Trigger was gritty. What really turned me off was the plastic trigger guard and barrel band. Ruined it for me. Id rather buy a cheapo Savage 93 with flimsy composite stock and shoot lights out, knowing exactly what I have. BTW, not literally shoot any lights.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.