Purchasing a car from the south

• riverruns
    Inactive

Ok, so I retired my 1996 park avenue today sad . Blown engine. I used the car on my delivery route and it was an awesome car.

Now, searching and looking for another late 90’s early 2000 Buick. Around the whole upper Midwest they seem high miles and or rusted bad.

Now searching, very limited, southern states it seems they are all over and not rusted. May have 150K on but that’s not bad.

Has anyone ever purchased a vehicle long distance? How should a person handle that in deciding to purchase long distance? Thanks for any help. peace

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

From my few experiments…

Safest – find someone in area to drive and confirm condition. Possibly even pay. Often takes a lucky break to find someone you can trust.

Risky – develop the best level of trust you can over the phone, then get in your car or plane and get there, with cash in hand.

Know a few guys who have bought anything from their dream rig to just another daily beater.

My best find? ‘04 Chevy Avalanche, 2 owners, never seen salt, washed daily, $3,500. Involved an 11 hour one way drive. Been one of the best trucks I’ve ever owned.

Good luck. Enjoy the “hunt”!

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

I buy vehicles from Utah, Colorado, and Wyoming.
    First, I have people I trust to look at the vehicles for me first.
    Second, know, understand, and KNOW how the flood damage scams work and how guys get around it.

Third, know the common issues for that area. As an example, I expect to replace front end components on trucks because the two track roads…
    Final, Don t feel obligated and KNOW when to walk away

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I have a buddy who purchases used rigs from out west. We go to TX or FL. Go fishing, do some shopping. A good reason for a turn and burn trip. Shop online first. Get some prospects lined up. Enjoy.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

He got the Dodge from Utah. He found the Ford for me in Washington.

Attachments:
    1. 1B779233-307D-406A-A6AB-192AC8B1780E.png

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

He found the Ford for me in Washington.

Attachments:
    1. CECDCF9A-51CB-47CE-A772-B8CEFCCCF225.png

blackbay

With all the flooding the last few years, especially down south, I would be very leary of a used vehicle.

TheFamousGrouse
    St. Paul, MN

Way better off looking in the west than the south. Way too many hurricane/flood damaged cars lurking in the south.

Grouse

Kurt Turner
    Kasson, MN

My ‘04 & ‘80 lucky finds

Attachments:
    1. 8E829BC1-5D9D-426D-8222-9D79640A2244.jpeg

kwp
    Eden Prairie

I bought my 4RUNNER in Nebraska of all places from a Toyota dealership. In my case I found it $5k cheaper for a year old vehicle than around here. Plus it was certified so I got all the warranties and Toyota Care transferred over to me. By coincidence a week earlier my boss found a used Subaru in Phoenix and drove it back. His was 5 years old and he wanted it rust free.

Randy Wieland
    Lebanon. WI

Way better off looking in the west than the south. Way too many hurricane/flood damaged cars lurking in the south.

Grouse

Extreme caution with the West. Scammers have mastered filtering flood damage vehicles through these states.
    Do the background check and if it was originally titled in hurricane hit states, walk away

riverruns
    Inactive

Grouse

Could you point me in the direction West?

My ‘04 & ‘80 lucky finds

Pretty nice finds!

Deuces

What do you consider high miles for a 15yr old car?

I’ve test driven several used Buicks in the twin cities area lately and you will find a nice vehicle with around 100k for $3500-5k quite easily. Some had issues but again, it’s a 15yr old car?

Fun watching the kiddo drive away to show off her 05 LeSabre this evening to the grandparents. Kind of jealous actually!

mxskeeter
    SW Wisconsin

I would buy something from out West. Tons of southern cars are coming north with flood damage.

Wade Boardman
    Grand Rapids, MN

I don’t concern myself with mileage. To pop in a new engine is cheap and easy. A couple 2-3 grand and a few days.

hnd

i bought a rebuilt 2012 f150 from southern MO. every truck in my price range had rust on the body up here. I had to get it inspected in IL due to it being a rebuilt which was annoying but that was the only hassle.

huskerdu

Bought a BMW in AZ , shipped it back for 500.00 –

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.