Puppies

• tapout

Hey guys so this might be a long shot but I’m looking for a lab puppy my boys have always wanted a dog and the wife has been saying no for years. I finally got her to say yes. But she doesn’t want to spend alot. She said we weren’t spending over 300 so does anybody got a line on so pups in that price range. They don’t need to be papered but I need purebred. Thanks guys need help fast cause she looking at ancle bitters and I don’t want that.haha

brad-o
    Mankato

Compromise, I have field English cockers. My female is 23 pounds will out hunt a lab in the grouse woods and pheasant fields. Wife gets lap dog you get a hunter and they are great with kids

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

Compromise, I have field English cockers. My female is 23 pounds will out hunt a lab in the grouse woods and pheasant fields. Wife gets lap dog you get a hunter and they are great with kids

Stop it already… smile

brad-o
    Mankato

I no I no. I have hunt over great labs . I like small food bills and # 2. Though if you love late waterfowl hunting labs are the way to go.

roosterrouster
    Inactive
    The "IGH"...

waytogo

Reef W

The initial price of the dog doesn’t even register when you add up what you’ll spend on it over the years. Between restocking food, treats, and vet bills I’ve spent over $300 this month on my dog. If you can find a good dog for $300, great, but I think you should get what you want and make sure it’s from a reputable breeder. You’re going to have him for a long time!

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

I’ll agree with Reef. While it seems like a large upfront cost, the cost of the dog should be the least of your worries. You’re going to have that dog for several years, so find one that has good genetics. You can train a lot of good into your dog by being a good owner and trainer, but there’s also a lot of bad that you can never train out of your dog by taking one with a shady history or pedigree.

Spend time with the owners, the parents, the litter. The first one you come across may be the perfect dog for you, or maybe you’ll have to look at 10 different litters first. You’re adopting a new child into your family that you’ll have for 10-15 years, so make a good choice on what can truly become a best friend to your entire family, not a pain in the a$$ to the family.

If you buy a dog that costs $300 and lives 12 years, the cost will come out to $0.07 cents per day. If you buy a dog that costs $1,000 and lives 12 years, it comes out to $0.23 cents per day. Spend that extra 16 cents a day to get the perfect dog for your family.
    *You can find quality dogs and horrible dogs for any price, $100, $300, $500, $10,000. Just don’t limit your search based on price, do your homework.

tapout

I picked up our pup sat I bought a chocolate from piddle creek kennel in Cumberland wis. I spent alot more then I wanted but she’s a real good looking pup with a huge pedigree. I’ve only had her a few days and I’ve never had a dog but she seems real smart. I sat in the yard with her sat with the duck dummy. Not expecting anything out of her I threw it and she retrieved it she went ten for ten seemed crazy to me for the first time at 10 weeks old. The boys can’t get enough of her and they wear her down pretty good so she does pretty good sleeping so far.

Attachments:
    1. IMG_20151017_1457244021.jpg

mnrabbit
    South Central Minnesota

Looks like a good dog! Now do your research on how to train it so you can get the most out of it. While you can get a decent dog by just randomly teaching it things, you can got an outstanding dog by following a training plan and understanding the order and why you are teaching it things.

Evan Graham Smartworks DVD’s is one of the best tools out there for learning how to train your dog, however it is expensive and will take a lot of time sitting down watching DVD’s.
    http://www.gundogsupply.com/evan-graham-smartwork-smartfetch.html

Tom Dokken’s book is nowhere near as in depth, but if you read it and put in the time with the pup, you can get a very quality gundog out of the info you learn in his book. You can find the book online for $10-20.
    http://www.gundogsupply.com/tom-dokkens-retriever-training-book.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cse&utm_term=TOM-DOKKENS-RETRIEVER-TRAINING-BOOK&gclid=CJzphJ7X0cgCFQaTaQod1D0HQw

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.