Propping Lund Alaskan 2000 with 115 CT

• Marco Pelton

I recently purchased a new boat, Lund Alaskan 2000 with a 115 Pro XS CT. I’ve been doing the break-in procedure and currently have about 8 hours on the boat.

The boat came with a 17 pitch Black Max. Seems like a good performer other than I’d like to see better handling @ mid to top speed. Going 39 mph (top speed) I get a fair amount of chine walking.

I fish Lake Sakakwea the vast majority of the time and in boats past I’ve always had SS props. I would like to purchase a second prop so that I have a back up and, more importantly, to see if I can prop it to improve a couple of characteristics such as chine walking, mid range speed (increasing) and slow speed steering (If that’s possible).

Any suggestions?

Again, I’m open to SS but more than anything, is there a prop that will help make the boat more stable at speed? And how about in the 3500-4500 RPM range? I’d love to pickup speed here as it’s the cruising zone.

My boat did not come with an RPM gauge so I’m
    Not sure what my RPM is at under full speed. I’m in the process of getting a Merc vessel View mobile but it’s not installed yet.

One thing I want to mention is that hole shot is currently ridiculously fast. We had 5 people in the boat for a little cruise last Friday and this boat and motor/pitch combo poppies up like it was nothing. I am OK giving up some hole shot if it means better cruising handling

Thanks for any suggestions.

3Rivers

The Spitfire X7 is a great SS 4 blade prop and it made a big difference in overall performance of my boat. RPM range is pretty crucial to propping correctly so you might want to wait until you get that installed to get a baseline before you buy a new prop.

The Real Joe Blow

The Spitfire X7 is a great SS 4 blade prop and it made a big difference in overall performance of my boat. RPM range is pretty crucial to propping correctly so you might want to wait until you get that installed to get a baseline before you buy a new prop.

Spitfire X7 is not available for the 115 Command Thrust gearcase, it’s only made in the 4.25″ hub diameter for the standard 2.07:1 gearcase. If you want a 4 blade for the CT gearcase, you have to go to the larger ones they run on the V6 engines. Rev4, or Trophy Plus or Trophy Sport.

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Seems like you should be shopping in the 150hp prop range since you have the CT gearcase and can run a larger prop. Did you figure anything out?

I’ve actually been looking for a deal on a spitfire X7 since I have the 155 proXS with standard gear case

KPE
    River Falls, WI

Seems like you should be shopping in the 150hp prop range since you have the CT gearcase and can run a larger prop. Did you figure anything out?

I’ve actually been looking for a deal on a spitfire X7 since I have the 115 proXS with standard gear case

Karry Kyllo

I have the same boat with a Merc 115 CT and I use a 19 pitch Mercury Tempest Plus stainless prop. It’s worked well since I bought the motor in 2016 and I’ve always been pleased with the performance. The part number stamped on the prop is 48-825860. I believe that the part number was replaced by 48-8M0151381 if I’m not mistaken.

terry Mcardle

I have the same boat with a Merc 115 CT and I use a 19 pitch Mercury Tempest Plus stainless prop. It’s worked well since I bought the motor in 2016 and I’ve always been pleased with the performance. The part number stamped on the prop is 48-825860.

Agree ! I had the same ..That prop worked great. PS: I just got talked out of the boat in August and got considerably more than I paid for it new in 2016. )

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.