Propane alarm in wheelhouse

• matthewkolden

Picked up a 2020 glacier last week. Yesterday the propane alarm started sounding. The house is plugged in to 120v house power, the heater wasnt even running. Propane tank up front is shut off. So literally no propane happening. It is not the carbon monoxide side thats beeping (it is a dual sensor unit by atwood). A 2nd c02 detector in the house is also silent. Any ideas what would cause this other than a faulty unit?

Hookset
    Southern MN

In my previous house I had the same issue, replaced the $90+ gas detector and still had problems with it going off. I read somewhere, I believe on here that said to check out my battery box, the cover was on but not sealed. I added a seal in between the top and bottom and never had an issue again.

John Rasmussen
    Blaine

Anyone dropping some serious stink in the house at the time? A friend of mine was having the same issue and it was due to methane gas from his BIL.

MNdrifter

Hookset is correct. A lot of times it can be gasses given off by lead acid batteries charging from your inverter. Id check the battery for your hydraulic pump. Some houses vent battery boxes outside. Or high moisture messes up the sensors. Also those detectors go bad over time. I had one go out last year in my 2019 fish house.

matthewkolden

The battery box is in fact right next to the detector, and is unsealed. It is an enclosed battery container, but no bolts holding it together and no seal between the two pieces of plastic. Maybe that will be my first thing to try.

For what its worth, its been sitting all day now and hasn’t started beeping again after i reset it this morning.

matthewkolden

So would i be correct to assume if i switched from a lead acid to an agm or something, my issue would potentially be eliminated?

Hookset
    Southern MN

I had a North Star AGM battery in my hydro box. I sealed both battery boxes and the issue never happened after that. The sensor was across from the hydro box which was under the bench seat. And both boxes had clean sealed vents going outside the house.

MNdrifter

So would i be correct to assume if i switched from a lead acid to an agm or something, my issue would potentially be eliminated?

That’s what I did when I first had it happen. Never had a problem until it went out. Or else cut a vent hole to the outside. I’ve seen guys run flex hose to an outside vent.

matthewkolden

This house does have the boxes vented. The main house battery, and the hydro battery in a different location.

Hookset
    Southern MN

This house does have the boxes vented. The main house battery, and the hydro battery in a different location.

My 2018 had the same setup with both batteries they just weren’t sealed properly.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.