Gonna try trapping

• Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Just bought a #220 conibear for the hunting shack and made a box for it. Late last fall I threw out a few pheasant carcasses on the ice on the slough and the next morning there were tracks headed right for where the body was and the bird was gone. Would it be just as easy if I placed the guts in the box or is there more to it? I did a bit of predator trapping at the wildlife refuge this summer for duck management but it was basically throw the trap out with some fish guts and come back in 2 weeks and discard the rotten pieces. Im really interested in starting but I have no clue on how to start. Plus what should I do with furs if i get them. Do I skin them or leave them on when I sell them. Watson and anyone else that has advice give me what you got.

Thanks,
    Lardy

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I apologize for not replying sooner, I hardly ever check this forum
    I guess the biggest question is, what do you plan to trap?
    The 220 is good for coon for sure as well as a few other northern species suck as fisher and martin. But, I don’t know the regs on these animals in MN so I can’t help you there.
    As far as the tracks you seen going to your pheasant, do you know what made the tracks?
    You can use the 220 in the box and catch coon pretty easy. You can use many different baits, either homemade or commercial made. Coon will eat just about anything.
    As far as what to do with the hides. First, I would skin them and then make sure the fur is dry and then freeze them flat. Then you can locate a fur buyer in your area and sell to them.
    I may be able to help you locate a buyer if you give me the town where you will be trapping. The good thing about our area is there are a lot of buyers scattered throughout WI and MN.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

I apologize for not replying sooner, I hardly ever check this forum
    I guess the biggest question is, what do you plan to trap?
    The 220 is good for coon for sure as well as a few other northern species suck as fisher and martin. But, I don’t know the regs on these animals in MN so I can’t help you there.
    As far as the tracks you seen going to your pheasant, do you know what made the tracks?
    You can use the 220 in the box and catch coon pretty easy. You can use many different baits, either homemade or commercial made. Coon will eat just about anything.
    As far as what to do with the hides. First, I would skin them and then make sure the fur is dry and then freeze them flat. Then you can locate a fur buyer in your area and sell to them.
    I may be able to help you locate a buyer if you give me the town where you will be trapping. The good thing about our area is there are a lot of buyers scattered throughout WI and MN.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Hey Mike….recognize this guy? He walked through the trial cam one night…….and last night there was a pack running the creek bottom. Thinking about carrying a sidearm when bowhunting, last year I had two of them come over the hill behind me and run within 20 yards.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Hey Mike….recognize this guy? He walked through the trial cam one night…….and last night there was a pack running the creek bottom. Thinking about carrying a sidearm when bowhunting, last year I had two of them come over the hill behind me and run within 20 yards.

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Was the cam up on the hill behind your house or down in the valley? There is definitely a good population of coyotes running around your place As the weather gets colder, I get the urge to call coyotes again I still have the trusty shotgun if the urge gets to strong

amwatson
    Holmen,WI

Was the cam up on the hill behind your house or down in the valley? There is definitely a good population of coyotes running around your place As the weather gets colder, I get the urge to call coyotes again I still have the trusty shotgun if the urge gets to strong

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Thanks for the advice. Im pretty sure the tracks were mink being how small they were and ive seen a few around before. Im actually going to be out in south dakota trapping and ill be keeping the fur in brookings, however I may be able to bring them to minneapolis when I go home.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Thanks for the advice. Im pretty sure the tracks were mink being how small they were and ive seen a few around before. Im actually going to be out in south dakota trapping and ill be keeping the fur in brookings, however I may be able to bring them to minneapolis when I go home.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

The camera was in that deep ravine by the long field in the second valley behind the house. You go up the grass path to that ravine. Tonight I was sitting off that field, and the yotes were singing on top of the hill behind me…..had to have been four or five of them the way they were carrying on. Keep the shotgun cleaned and ready…….consider yourself on call.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

The camera was in that deep ravine by the long field in the second valley behind the house. You go up the grass path to that ravine. Tonight I was sitting off that field, and the yotes were singing on top of the hill behind me…..had to have been four or five of them the way they were carrying on. Keep the shotgun cleaned and ready…….consider yourself on call.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Looks like I’m gonna have to make a road trip this winter down south and help ya out. I have 8 different packs located around my house Just waiting for cold weather and snow. I was in the duck blind the other day and had about 9 light up across the swamp. Now that got my blood flowing.

dodge_boy
    Minocqua, Wi

Looks like I’m gonna have to make a road trip this winter down south and help ya out. I have 8 different packs located around my house Just waiting for cold weather and snow. I was in the duck blind the other day and had about 9 light up across the swamp. Now that got my blood flowing.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

They are running here almost every night too. You sure are welcome to come anytime.

2jranch
    Arcadia, WI

Quote:

They are running here almost every night too. You sure are welcome to come anytime.

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Lardy , I dont want to come down on you too hard but!you gotta check your traps man! Every day. You can’t come back every 2 weeks.The antis will be showing pics of your starving catch and give us all a big black eye. Sorry. Be real carefull were you set 220s also because they will kill what they catch, even someones prize bird dog. Cats are no big loss

SpinnerDave
    S.E. Iowa

Hey Lardy , I dont want to come down on you too hard but!you gotta check your traps man! Every day. You can’t come back every 2 weeks.The antis will be showing pics of your starving catch and give us all a big black eye. Sorry. Be real carefull were you set 220s also because they will kill what they catch, even someones prize bird dog. Cats are no big loss

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Dave,

I completely understand what your saying, the only thing is that we were trapping for management purposes only at the refuge. If the feds were worried about any backlash they would probably go about it differently. If it were up to me we’d check em everyday and see the freshly caught vermin. It sure would beat re-fencing a WPA 5 days a week. I also dont mind hearing about the over curious ditch cougar finding its way into a conibear.

Lardy
    SDSU via Savage, MN

Dave,

I completely understand what your saying, the only thing is that we were trapping for management purposes only at the refuge. If the feds were worried about any backlash they would probably go about it differently. If it were up to me we’d check em everyday and see the freshly caught vermin. It sure would beat re-fencing a WPA 5 days a week. I also dont mind hearing about the over curious ditch cougar finding its way into a conibear.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.