Power Anchor Opinion Needed

• trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I have a guy looking at adding a Electric anchor and have no clue about them !

Which is a better unit ..Minnkota or a Trac and would it be smart to buy a bigger than needed or a waste of money

He said he runs a 16lb or 18lb anchor and looking for his boat.

TIA Jeff

Brian Klawitter
    Keymaster
    Minnesota/Wisconsin Mississippi River

I think to answer that question Jeff, a person would need to know what size and kind of boat and is it mostly for a lake or river.

I’ve been told my some very knowledgeable people that it makes a difference and a spot lock might be a better answer depending on the answers above.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

16′ boat or 16.5,plenty of room to install one up by the trolling motor, He anchors alot and is tired of pulling anchor by hand, I believe use on the river

cheers

I would go with spot lock . I had a minkota on my boat for years pre spot lock . I replaced most parts multipal times over the years .I must agree it did work well when it did and was handy at times but when spot lock came out it was redundant . Biggest problem was the anchor and how to secure it when not in use, also hard on the side of the boat. It also takes up significant area of the bow deck when a trolling motor and graph are installed as well

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I would go with spot lock . I had a minkota on my boat for years pre spot lock . I replaced most parts multipal times over the years .I must agree it did work well when it did and was handy at times but when spot lock came out it was redundant . Biggest problem was the anchor and how to secure it when not in use, also hard on the side of the boat. It also takes up significant area of the bow deck when a trolling motor and graph are installed as well

If he wanted SPOT LOCK I would be asking about Electric anchors !!

Spot lock is only as good as your Trolling Motor,If it doesn’t adapt to the TM then Spot Lock is worthless !!

Alagnak Pete
    Lakeville

I currently have both (spot lock and elec anchor). Spot lock is great when pitching jigs or vertical presentations but when I want to anchor, I want to anchor and not move at all. I have the 40# minnkota model and have used it for one year with no issues. You will want a minimum of 20# anchor on this model because an 18# won’t pay the line out like it should and you might have to pull on it by hand once in a while.

trumar
    Rochester, Mn

I currently have both (spot lock and elec anchor). Spot lock is great when pitching jigs or vertical presentations but when I want to anchor, I want to anchor and not move at all. I have the 40# minnkota model and have used it for one year with no issues. You will want a minimum of 20# anchor on this model because an 18# won’t pay the line out like it should and you might have to pull on it by hand once in a while.

Thanks for your input,anchor weight makes sense !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.