Rod Holders

• ptc
    Apple Valley/Isle, MN

I’ve got a new boat and am a little (lot) nervous about drilling holes in it to mount rod holders. I ran across an interesting solution on the internet http://www.in-a-snap.com/ it is a rod holder that can clip to a rope cleat. Call me a sceptic, but I am not sure it will be able to grab on to the cleat solidly enough.

Does anyone have any experience with these or something like them? Or, do I have to bite the bullet and introduce my boat to my drill?

Thanks!

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

I wouldn’t be too nervous about installing the holders…. its a simple project and going that route will allow you to have the holders where you want them VS. being limited to using a holder that forces you to use the cleat locations.

I’ve used those holders you’re referring to…. they’re workable but a major pain to get in and out of the cleats and they’re not the answer for long-term or serious use.

My 2 cents…

customrodfan
    Twin Cities

James,

Any particular rod holder system that you prefer?

(ps) We met when you and Dustin were exploring really, really long rod options with my father (Lakelady Rods) . Sorry I didn’t work out for you. Love the website!!

Anonymous

Not James but for what it is worth, Id like to recommend 2 different rod holder applications to you. Scotty/Cabela rod holders are nice and I have had those the last two years.

This year I also purchased a Ram Rod Holder and I love that thing! You can bend them into any position you want. The Ram rod holder is very easy to install. Couple screws into the gunnel and your done.(always pre-drill your holes) The Scotties/Cabelas holders I prefer to flush mount into the gunnel. But you have to get a hole saw/pilot bit at 3/8″ and punch a hole in the gunnel. Make sure you dont forget the pilot bit! LOL. I learned that lesson the hard way. Gosh how come this bit wont bite and start making a hole as it walks all over the gunnel eating the finish. Live and learn. But these are two of the holders Id recommend.

James Holst
    Keymaster
    SE Minnesota

customrodfan

Too bad we couldn’t work through the pricing issue on that rod. The products your dad makes are really quite incredible…. but out of our price point for a rod in that application.

I’d agree with hougie on this one… despite the fact I’ve never owned any of the Ram rod holders personally. I’ve always gone with the Scotty holders and they’ve been bullet-proof but my experience with Ram holders for electronics has left me knowing they make a darn good product…. maybe a bit expensive… but excellent quality and completely adjustable.

As long as you stay away from the really cheap holders you won’t have any problems with durability, etc.

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

Nate Cadwell had a set of the new Berkley rod holders up at Mille Lacs this weekend that I think I would like a lot. It is basically 2 levers (Opposing), and when you flip one over, it opens up for very fast rod extraction from the holder. Very nice! Nate will have to post up when he gets back, and tell us all how he likes them.

Tuck

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Chris

Thanks for your help last weekend I would of been lost all week. but anyways those Berkley Rod Holders are pretty sweet. all you have to do is lift that rod out of the rod holder and set the hook. none of that pulling the rod out then back to you then set it. with the Berkleys those two Metal Prongs just lift right up when you pull the rod. I know I really like them they are perfect for the river.

talk to you later

Nate Cadwell

chris-tuckner
    Hastings/Isle MN

No problem! I hope all went well!

Are you fishing the Wacker?

Tuck

nate-cadwell
    Rochester, Mn

Hey Chris

unfortunatley I wont be fishing the Wacker but should be up there fishing the WWA on June 2.

talk to you later

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.