Plant base recipe

• slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

We watched a documentary and the wife is hooked on eating more plant based. Has anyone discovered any plant based recipes they couldn’t live without? So far
    I done mind once in awhile having burritos with a lot of different beans and fajita veggies .

sji

I enjoy plant based myself. Cows eat the plants, I eat the cows.

slipbob_nick
    Princeton, MN

I hear ya. In no way looking to go away from meat. Have venison and fish about 8 days a week. Mainly looking for something that won’t taste terrible when she wants to go heavy on vegetables for the entree.

Gino
    Grand rapids mn

How about a good vegetable stir fry. Serve on a bed on white rice. This one had some meat but it would have been good without

Attachments:
    1. 555F2CF9-EA7E-470D-98B2-3BF2FACEF8DA.jpeg

2. 96083067-5F13-440F-8CF5-27EF474ECBD2.jpeg

Deleted

That stir fry looks great. I’d eat something like that but much better with some chicken in there.

We have some sort of vegetable with some meat for every supper. That’s as much vegetable based as I can do here.

Some neighbors years ago invited us over for supper. Lasagna, it took me one bite to realize it wasn’t something I needed to ever eat again. It had no meat in it and was gross. They also had no garlic bread served with it. I ate it and smiled but what a waste of time that was. My lasagna has 2 lbs of Italian sausage in one pan of it and also is always served with garlic bread.

biggill
    East Bethel, MN

Care to share which documentary it was?

You definitely need to be careful about the documentaries that push plant based diets. The whole plant based movement is based on veganism which is not a diet but rather a belief not to kill animals. People choose to eat this way not because it’s healthier but because they believe killing animals is like killing humans. These people lack a few critical nutrients including vitamin B12 which can lead to a lot of health problems. In order to spread their belief they have gone to nutritional research to try and justify a their vegan diet, which they choose to call plant based so it isn’t associated with the vegan stereotype. They have vegan doctors plowing through piles of poorly designed dietary studies so they can scare you into a plant based diet.

If you want to eat better your diet should be predominantly vegetables. Somewhere around 75% of your meals. They should also be nutrient dense vegetables. Grains, potatoes and high carb vegetables lack nutrients and don’t really add any value to your diet. Cut out sugar and processed foods. Cutting down on inflammation is the key.

Meat is extremely nutrient dense and has the needed protein and fat to keep you healthy.

I truly believe that we need to focus more on what we aren’t eating versus what we are eating. 1000+ years ago grains were a huge part of our diet but were rarely ever eaten without being sprouted, soured or fermented first. This breaks down the anti-nutrients that prevent you from absorbing the nutrients they do have. A lot of plants have these and is why foods like sauerkraut are still popular today. Not to mention the probiotics and probiotics they have. Organ meat is rarely eaten today. Again, another nutrient dense food that our bodies need.

Sorry I hijacked your search for recipes. I agree with stir fry for a good option. We do stir fry about once a month but usually always include beef or chicken but it isn’t necessary if you include a bunch of different vegetables. You can really do a lot of different variations with this and even cook a separate meal with meat for yourself.

iowa_josh

I have been experimenting to eat just a bit healthier and the wife went to a diet place that was low carb. I am also the cook.

Sweet potato fries and slices baked until they carmelize at 400. Brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccolli cooked the same. The easiest broccilli is the huge bag in the walmart freezer. The tiny microwave bags are all stems. Made some sauted kale with diced bacon that was good. Kale boiled for a few minutes then cooled and put in a salad. Spaghetti squash in spaghetti. I do about 1/2 regular noodles. Tons of options but these are some I actually liked.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.